• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What to do w/ my '75?

Swaayze

Loc.
DFW, TX
Howdy, just curious to get some thoughts on which direction I should go.

I bought a '75 on a whim.... all original, uncut and complete (302 auto, full smog as far as I can tell, and very little rust). Runs and drives but needs full restoration. My intent was (is) to go moderate off road (33s w/ lift, fairly mild 302, maybe some 4.10 no-slips, front discs, etc, etc) and cosmetically nice, but not a show truck.

I'm kinda wondering if I shouldn't put this one up for sale to someone who wants a factory type Bronco and see if I can find more of a charity case to begin with. I will have to spend a pretty good amount of $$ to equip it like I want, so it seems like maybe I would feel less guilty hackin up a different (cheaper) one! OTOH, I probably overpaid a little anyway, and should probably go with the bird in the hand.

Fire away!

Thanks.

Idaho Slim

Loc.
Archer, Idaho
I think your line of reasoning is very good, sell the all original Pony for top dollar, then find a already half modified Bronc to fix up as you want for a off-road rig, the original ones ain't being cranked out anymore, ;) so take advantage of your all original one.

Nuke

I tend to agree with Slim. What kind of money are we talking about.

Awnrie69

Loc.
Salem, Or
I would have a hard time cutting an original. I have a 68 mustang that is pretty close to stock. I really want a 289 or 302 in it as well as a 3 speed. I just can't do that though, so I am looking for one that is closer to what I want. Someone who really likes the stock would probably love to have it

Wildturkey

BANNED
Loc.
Coker, Alabama
Sounds like we need to talk about a trade deal Swaazye.I have one for sale on here under the heading 73 Bronco Project in progress.It has a pic and is on the second page now.Check it out.I like stockers myself.Let me know if you like it I can send more and better pics.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D Look at it this way there were all stock uncut at one time someone must step out and go for it what else can be said ? %) %) %) Bill 8) %) :p

Bart

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Buffalo Gap, Texas
At one time I was going to sell one of my two Broncos, the orginal uncut stock '66. No one wanted it, so much for top dollar uncut. This one must be one of the first also. It has a carb on it that orginal was for a '65 Falcon, according to the carb numbers. It wasn't changed either. Anyway, cut it and build it the way YOU want. If you build it then you know what's what if something happens off road. (voice of experience here).
Like the man said they were all orginal uncut at one time. The more work done to modify a Bronco the more the owner wants for it. I got a ton of money in mine. More to come.

OP
OP
S

Swaayze

Loc.
DFW, TX
Well, we're certainly not talkin' cherry here. I'm not sure I could easily find a reasonable replacement for the $$ I'd get. This old girl has been rode to 186k and probably never touched unless necessary. I actually found a cash register receipt dated 1977 in the ashtray! (No I don't know the history; bought from a 2nd or 3rd tier dealer in TX). It needs full attention to be a nice vehicle, though it does drive pretty decent (stopping is another matter). It needs some bodywork, as well as interior and exterior cosmetic makeovers.

Interesting responses, almost 50-50 on which track to take. I thought this might be an interesting topic. I'm leaning towards just going for it. I'll probably just do piecemeal projects on it for a while and have it as a drivable toy, though I'd love to go body off with it too eventually (2 kiddos yet to start school so time's tight!).

As for the '73 project, that's a nice start. I'll think it over.

77TexasBronc

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Baytown Texas
for me it would all depend on the condition, if its ragged out, cut it. If ist in fair shape sell it if you dont want a un-cut rig. Beside you can save some $$ buying a rig that already has some of the mods that you want. There are getting fewer and fewer un-cut rigs out there. Show us some pictures....Good luck with YOUR choice;)

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
Keep it uncut and buy another one to hack up. Use it as your daily driver, put on some disc brakes and 30" x 9.50" MTs on your stock wheels, put on stock hubcaps and go!!

77sport

Loc.
San Jose, CA
if the one you have is in good shape you might think about building that one. I think you are better off to start with a good platform. Why you say. I got spoiled with my first one it was in great shape. The project one that i bought to build ended needing everything replaced or rebuilt even though it drove ok. I had to put about twice as much $ into it. If I had to do it again i would start with one that was in real good shape to begin with. Although if i was to do it again my wife would kill me!!!

Salgood

Loc.
Kalispell
I have always taken pride in doing all the work myself......U?

Gotta love saying that this (the Bronco) is all mine---and a result of MY work.

BC:p

Bart

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Buffalo Gap, Texas
If at all possible I do my own work. I even learned how to build differentials8) Besides empting your wallet, having someone else do the work doesn't help you out on the trail. Plus when it goes wrong you know who to blame;D

GRIZZLY

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lakewood, CA
With nicely made replacement panels if someone wanted the uncut look you can just weld uncut panels back in. It sounds like you have a pretty decent starting point.....