• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What will it take to stuff a 2001 4.6 mod motor out of a stang?

johnnybgood74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
boise, idaho
I have the chance to get a smoking deal on a 01 4.6 mod motor for 600! 71K miles and still runs. All is there and still resides in the mustang. I can get probably anything else I want too, auto trans and gas pedal. So what is involved? Do I need to heavily modify my frame? Houseofdiesel cut half his frame off. Not wanting to go to quite that extreme. I've been following the build in Bronco Driver but they are kind of vague. I want to know some details. I am a fabricator at Early Bronco Specialties so I'm not scared of fab work since that's all i do at work. Lol please give me some opinions and facts please!

Thanks!

John

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Pretty big shoe horn.

It has been done. Not exactly an easy swap. Transmission is a 4R70W, Use the AA AOD kit and the stock D20 can be added in. Trans will need a rebuild to get the correct output shaft installed.

OP
OP
johnnybgood74

johnnybgood74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
boise, idaho
Well I can choose between the auto or the 5 speed manual. Not sure what the name of the manual is. Also I was wrong, it has the 5 speed in it and if I want the auto, he has one I can use. Would it be an easier swap using the 5 speed?

OP
OP
johnnybgood74

johnnybgood74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
boise, idaho
Oh, I'm also going to have more room in the engine compartment because the inner fenders and core support are cut out. I am building a tube inner structure for the fenders and grill to attach to.

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
That is one BIG motor for sure! Should be fun to do but it will definitely look like it is gonna take some work/time. Sounds like fun to me! Have at it and just do it! ;D

StnePny

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Santa Monica, Ca.
With the inner fenders out ,, will help. I've seen a 5.4 from a Lincoln Navagtor in an EB with inner fender ,, TIGHT ...

if you a fab at EBS .. are you Bob Sanders's kid .. ?

JRED

I had the motor already in and ready to go but bailed on the wiring. There is an adaptor to a c4. You have to move crossmember. I got motor mounts and headers from Mod man on this board. Not a bad fit really. The power steering fit fine. Headers had to come off to get starter out. Still have all the stuff for the swap. Now I just need a good donor vehicle. Ha ha.

OP
OP
johnnybgood74

johnnybgood74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
boise, idaho
No! I'm not Bob's kid! Lol EBS got bought out by Jon Gilman. Totally different shop. JRED, you bailed on the wiring? Why? Is this the biggest booger of the swap? I can have the harness off the mustang too. If that will help me. I can fab all day but I suck at wiring. I'm about to pull the trigger but I want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row.

Ranchtruck

It's not that hot of a motor either for the work involved in swapping it. 260hp, 300ftlbs tq. You can make those numbers with a warmed over 5.0 windsor and it would bolt right in.

If you were doing a supercharged 4.6 or a DOHC all aluminum one out of a Lincoln Mark VIII I could see it being worth the work, but for a mustang GT motor...

HGM

Loc.
Senoia, Ga.
It's not that hot of a motor either for the work involved in swapping it. 260hp, 300ftlbs tq. You can make those numbers with a warmed over 5.0 windsor and it would bolt right in.

If you were doing a supercharged 4.6 or a DOHC all aluminum one out of a Lincoln Mark VIII I could see it being worth the work, but for a mustang GT motor...

x2

I'm good with wiring and find stuff like this to have a cool factor thats hard to beat, you will have to be on your game to get it all to play nicely togetther.. I'd get EVERYTHING attached to it and run it as it was intended, only leaving out some of the less important stuff.. But, I'd pass on this deal too... At least for the Bronco.. Maybe you could get it and flip it on Craigslist to fund other stuff... ??

JRED

There just was not alot of support for that engine combo at the time. I think there are some harnesses available now for it now. I should have just done it,but hindsight is 20 20 and at the time I just wanted to drive my bronco as quick as possible.

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru

What he said :) don't get me wrong it's a great motor but not very much of a upgrade considering the $$ and time involved.

dnewman9

Bronco Guru
Look at my build thread below. Let me know if you have any questions. Starter, headers, and brakes are the tough spots.

I built my own harness using all data DIY.
Dennis

thirdtime

Contributor
This one belongs to a buddy of mine. It puts out around 500 hp on the dyno, 4V supercharged. You can see the dyno youtube clip at tumblins youtube site. The truck will scare the @o!!X^ out of you when he stomps it.

Attachments

• 031.jpg
    031.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 37

HGM

Loc.
Senoia, Ga.
This one belongs to a buddy of mine. It puts out around 500 hp on the dyno, 4V supercharged. You can see the dyno youtube clip at tumblins youtube site. The truck will scare the @o!!X^ out of you when he stomps it.

Very cool, but very different engine..

Broncobowsher

Total hack

But the DOHC actually has better clarance to things like the brakes then the taller SOHC. As awasome as that engine is, it is an easier fit then the basic 4.6 SOHC engine.