• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What would cause a Bronco to buck?

Evian

Loc.
Algonquin/IL
Something funny happened today when I was driving my Bronco. I was driving over some pot holes and all of a sudden my Bronco started to buck from one side to the other. It was bouncing around for a moment I thought I had a blowout. I reduced my speed and the bucking (bouncing) suddenly stopped. It never happened before. I have new coils, shocks and leaf springs. I don't understand what could have caused this. Any suggestions why my Bronco wants to bounce me around? :)

Almost forgot: The bouncing was coming from the front of the Bronco. It happened a total of three times today. I checked my lug nuts and they are tight. I checked my hubs and they aren't locked. I checked my transfer case and it is set for two wheel drive high.

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Death Wobble, Something is loose in the front end if it just started doing it, worn bushings most likely, or steering stabilizer gone bad.

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Every one I have ever seen do this it has been worn track bar bushings.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
As mentioned track bar bushings would be place #1 to check and also check and replace the radius arm bushings as well.

BroncoBrandon

I agree that it is the Trac bar bushings. I had the same problem and replaced them last week. No more death wobble.

gearida

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newburgh, IN
You could also have a tie rod end bad. I had a vehicle that would shake after hitting a hole and found the steering box had broken the frame too.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The famous "Death Wobble" as mentioned usually just worn track bar bushings. I was changing mine out about yearly for a while.

It is not a steering stabalizer issue. That is not the cure. You should not need a steering damper for normal driving, but they are good at protecting expensive parts (like those steering boxes) from sudden (impact) shock.

OP
OP
Evian

Evian

Loc.
Algonquin/IL
What the heck is a track bar bushing? What does it look like so I can locate it? Forgive me for not knowing but it is my first Bronco. Yes, I have given up the spurs temporary until I get this Bronco under control. Then watch out!

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Track bar runs from the pass. side of the front axle to the frame on the right side behind the steering box. Bushings are in the ends.