• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

what year AOD?

6bronco6

Debating if i should switch my c4 to a AOD. What year AOD should i be looking at? Are some better than others? What am i looking at for prices?

luvmybronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ashland, Oh
89 and up are better, cause they have the holes drilled for oil in the rear shaft...At least thats what was told to me by Advanced Adapters...Give them a call, and ask..

Buckin74

Loc.
San Diego
I run a late 80's AOD and can't tell you either what the best years will be. Hopefully someone else will chime in and offer some paticulars. What I do know is that the AODE (electronic) units are not the way to go. I'm sure people have made these trannies work-- but they take a lot of work and need the computer and a harness to operate.
The early models require one cable to operate and when installed, usually require no adjustments and work great for EB's.
I cannot say enough for this transmission. Has made my specific built Bronco into a Bronco that is FUN to drive for ALL uses.

tonto

Bronco Guru
I'd get the latest model I could find, last year in production was 93 thats what I would shoot for.
I was told by the Ford tranny tech I know every year they did minimal improvements to make it perform better, mainly in the valve body, plus the case wear at the point the output exits the case so the newer the AOD the less chances of wear that would force you to replace the case.
Good luck, Francois.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Chsck out this site
http://www.baumannengineering.com/pguide.htm
Read all about the AOD,AODE and the 4R70W
Read the 4R70W tech article on this site (look in the "more tech atricles" on the left of your screen)
Then decide for yourself. I love the 4R70W with all the factory upgrades already installed that I have behind a built 351W in my bronco. I am building a built 5.0 for a Ranger and am using the same transmission again. If you actually care where your transmission shifts and want to be able to control it, the computer is the only way to go. Like fuel injection for your transmission. After you have it, you wonder why you ever went without it.

EBReifsnyder

Loc.
Holland, MI
I may be wrong on the year, but definetly check out getting a mustang 5.0 transmission out of tangs up to 93??? or maybe 92? Not sure on year, but the GT aod has a lower first gear. Since you HAVE to do the Advance Adapter swap to ANY AOD, you may as well go with the transmission gearset you want. Unfortunately when I picked up my trans it was from an 86 bronco that was just rebuilt, and the price was TOO good.
Good luck on the swap.

BTW, there is currently another thread going talking about the technicalities of swapping this in.

Greg