• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Whats the best DIY spray-in bedliner?

adam05ford

Loc.
San Marcos, Texas
I am fixing to spray in a bedliner in my 74 and was wanting some opinions on who makes the best sprayable liner. My biggest consideration is UV fading resistance. herculiner, duplicolor bed armor, hippo liner are some of the ones that I have seen.

thanks for any input,
Adam

OldSchool53

The best spray in bedliner is any that you use after doing a ton of prep work. I just sprayed Raptor Liner last week and was surprised by how well it turned out. I did have about 20 hours of prep work done before spraying though. It's a hundred bucks for a kit that has four quarts of product and a spray gun. I would recommend just doing four very light coats an hour apart and giving it a few days to fully harden before re-installing seats, etc. This was my first time spraying anything but a rattle can and I am very happy with it.

Photo:
http://www.facebook.com/ryan.p.swee...894872167&set=a.651110632287.2202000.37600482

Amac70

ME
id say the raptor or the sem bedliners. the new duplicolor might be okay but the old stuff sucked. I have been trying to strip out some raptor and that stuff is stuck. Sand blaster didn't touch it. brake fluid 24 hours soak didn't touch it. the air craft stripper worked okay as did the the heat gun, but i gave up its going to a sodablaster to get it back off. I will probably use the same stuff again eventually.I know im going to use it in my work truck.

blankenship76

Loc.
Indianapolis, IN
I used the raptor liner kit from TP tools and am extremely happy with how it turned out.

A lot of Jeep guys have had a ton of success with it and from their reviews it has held up very very well. Just make sure you prep it good, light sanding and then a good cleaning with mineral spirits should work.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
As far as DIY, I have to agree with the Raptorliner. The "new" Duplicolor Bed Armor may be fine, but no personal experience. I'll never do another Herculiner. I did my whole engine bay with the Raptorliner too, and even where it's only 1.5" from my header it's unaffected. Not saying there isn't something better, just personal experience.

carter2772

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Camano Island, Wa
I have heard AL's liner and Raptor are both great products. I am curious about the Dupicolor, and have not heard anything negative about it.

I think it comes down to what type of finish you are trying to acieve. Some are more gritty or have more texture to them, others are more smooth.

I think they are probably all great products, but it all comes down to PREP.... Do your prep work right, spray it/ roll it the way it is supposed to be rolled, and you will be happy with the end result.

I cant believe the amount places are getting to spray this stuff in. Its like 800-1200 to have a truck bed done with line-x or other big names... UGH, why?

OP
OP
adam05ford

adam05ford

Loc.
San Marcos, Texas
This may be a dumb question but i need some advise from someone who has done this before. Do you need to remove taped edges before the liner sets up? It seems like if you wait to let it set up that you will never get a nice sharp edge.

Sylar

Loc.
Cleveland, TX
The best, thickest DIY I have found is the Liner X-treeme off of eBay. It is a 2 part system with the rubber crumbles seperate. I sprayed a small metal utility trailer I use to haul engine blocks in.. and this stuff holds great to the blocks being tossed around on it. I used Herculiner once... never again :cry:

carter2772

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Camano Island, Wa

BIGED

Guru ????
I used auto grade paint tape with my raptor and it worked fine

Theres a pic in my gallery

TN1776

Bronco Guru
I used SEM and I'm happy with it, it has held up to some pretty good abuse in the two years since I applied it. The product seems great, but the results are all in the prep. I had one failure with it where I applied it over a section of floor that I replaced. I didn't prime the area very well and that's where the liner has lifted. In other areas where I applied it over paint (scuffed per their instructions) its held up very well.

66ALRIDE

Contributor
Just BIP It!
Loc.
Dothan, AL
I used the SEM's too. Mine is bright red and nearly 3 years old. Looks the same as the day I sprayed it. Holds up to the UV very well. Easy to work with, just don't spray it over an etch type primer. Has a pot life of about 30 mirns so only mix enough for your gun cup.

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
I used the U-POL Raptor on mine. It is a great product, not too pricey, and the texture is great.

Attachments

• Picture 162.jpg
    Picture 162.jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 299
  • Picture 163.jpg
    Picture 163.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 380
  • Picture 164.jpg
    Picture 164.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 273

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
I am going to try the raptor stuff. After seeing your pics, it looks like the easiest system as far as spray and clean goes. Nice job!