• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wheels drilled for 5/8" studs on 1/2" studs possible/safe?

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looking at a set of used beadlocks but they have been drilled for 5/8" studs.

Is it safe to use these wheels with acorn lug nuts or is there a lug nut that has a shank/sleeve?

Thanks,

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Are the wheels steel or aluminum?

Most wheels designed for 60 degree conical seat lug nuts are drilled .60" to .63" anyway, so overdrilling them for 5/8" studs really doesn't usually need to remove much material. That said, what size are the through holes now?

The shank type lug nuts are a waste of time unless they're virtually the same size as the through hole, as they'll just center on the conical seats anyway. That said, if you make hub-centric spacers for the wheels, then you can retain them however you like so long as they're not at risk of pulling through the wheel.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hi, don't mess around if you don't know the proper lug nut, acorn or deep shank. Maybe you can call the wheel manufacturer tech line. Maybe you need an adapter to go from 1/2 to the bigger size on the rim. Good luck

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I wouldn't trust it unless they were drilled on a mill.
It's just about impossible to drill/enlarge a hole, on center, with a drill press. It's even worse if a hand drill was used.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I wouldn't trust it unless they were drilled on a mill.
It's just about impossible to drill/enlarge a hole, on center, with a drill press. It's even worse if a hand drill was used.

The Method 101 wheels are lug-centric, so the through hole size/location is irrelevant to the centering of the wheel, as that is determined by the 60 degree conical seat and lug nuts. The through hole only exists to allow the wheel stud to pass through the wheel and let the conical lug nut to do it's job.

...unless these are for Superduty applications or some other hub-centric design. Are these wheels 5x5.5", 8-lug or something else?

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Contributor
Total hack
But is the lug seat still the correct shape/size after the hole has been opened up? Is the engagement of the tapered seat sufficient?

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
But is the lug seat still the correct shape/size after the hole has been opened up? Is the engagement of the tapered seat sufficient?

That's an excellent question, and one that I cannot answer without knowing the what the current through hole diameter is and the OD of the countersink, as that would determine the remaining seat width assuming everything is more or less centered.

OP
OP
Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for all the input gents. I think I will keep looking as I don't know how they were drilled and just don't want to take a chance.