• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Where to buy a 347 short block

roloniko

Loc.
Ft. Collins/Loveland
I have been looking and exploring but I wasn't sure which is the better buy. I looked on eBay, Coast highway performance, summit, etc... They of course all have different components and such but I would like some guidance. I saw Coast Highway Performance had some great things but they also threw me for a loop with their different pistons. Are there better places to look at? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I am looking to buy a 347 short block with a beefy cam that was recommended to me to buy. I am replacing my old 302 and starting fresh with the block. I will be using all the accessories. Thank you for any advice you give in advance.

tirewater

Contributor
Loc.
San Francisco Bay Area
I have been looking and exploring but I wasn't sure which is the better buy. I looked on eBay, Coast highway performance, summit, etc... They of course all have different components and such but I would like some guidance. I saw Coast Highway Performance had some great things but they also threw me for a loop with their different pistons. Are there better places to look at? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I am looking to buy a 347 short block with a beefy cam that was recommended to me to buy. I am replacing my old 302 and starting fresh with the block. I will be using all the accessories. Thank you for any advice you give in advance.

Buying local will save you in shipping.

When I was researching I was looking at Coast High Performance and ADPerformance. Both had good reviews on the corral.net forum. For a little more money (& time) there's Ford Strokers (Woody on Corral.net).

If I had to choose today I'd go with ADPerformance.

latrucker

Contributor
Buying local will save you in shipping.

When I was researching I was looking at Coast High Performance and ADPerformance. Both had good reviews on the corral.net forum. For a little more money (& time) there's Ford Strokers (Woody on Corral.net).

If I had to choose today I'd go with ADPerformance.
Woody at Fordstrokers.com no longer builds stock block engines, Dart blocks only and a 5 to 6 month wait to build one. Very good reputation in the SBF world.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Not all bottom ends are the same. Do you need a Dart block bottom end? Or will a stock block be good enough? To that what heads do you plan on using? How much compression? What powerband? Pretty much comes down to what you want the complete engine to be like. Once you have the complete engine picked out then you can start working backwards and find who offers the bottom end you need.

So maybe a local machine shop built stock block is good enough, maybe one of the big names with a more built up bottom end is a better choice.

And as usual when someone wants to build a 347 for a Bronco, I have to ask why they are passing on the 351W? Starts with more cubes, potential for a LOT more. Responds to good heads, cam, intakes the same. The engine compartment will accept it. The block is a lot beefier then a stock 302 block (head and main bearing caps go up a bolt size). For as much as you are going to put into building a stroker just to reuse a few parts (that probably won't work with a well built 347 anyway).

Local Boy

Loc.
Mililani, Hawaii
DSS ripped me off BIG TIME!...I spent 10K on a crate 331 from them... only to find out later that it had old inferior "off the shelf" parts that was NOT what I paid for...

The valves leaked badly and was made of inferior materials and quality (cheap), the valve springs were el cheapo POS that did not even have the correct spring pressure.... I won't even start on the B*l$hit bottom half... Long story short...that engine was a 10K POS!

I tend to trust in peoples moral fortitude... This episode really knocked that back a few degrees...

That was a hard lesson... that still pains me, when I think about it...

Aloha

Last edited:
OP
OP
roloniko

roloniko

Loc.
Ft. Collins/Loveland
Not all bottom ends are the same. Do you need a Dart block bottom end? Or will a stock block be good enough? To that what heads do you plan on using? How much compression? What powerband? Pretty much comes down to what you want the complete engine to be like. Once you have the complete engine picked out then you can start working backwards and find who offers the bottom end you need.

So maybe a local machine shop built stock block is good enough, maybe one of the big names with a more built up bottom end is a better choice.

And as usual when someone wants to build a 347 for a Bronco, I have to ask why they are passing on the 351W? Starts with more cubes, potential for a LOT more. Responds to good heads, cam, intakes the same. The engine compartment will accept it. The block is a lot beefier then a stock 302 block (head and main bearing caps go up a bolt size). For as much as you are going to put into building a stroker just to reuse a few parts (that probably won't work with a well built 347 anyway).

If I do go with the 351 from the 302, what changes would I have to make with this? I don't need a Dart bottom end? Can I use the gt40p that I currently have for the 351 or should I start looking for another brand? Which brand? And anything else that comes to mind that I would need or think about....
Thanks for your advice!