• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Where to start?

fuseman

Loc.
SoCal
I just got my 69 back together and wanted to know where to start? I don't have power steer or power brakes,nor do I have a good exhaust (glasspack that are very loud),or electronic ignition. The motor is strong and is a crate 302.This is where all my $ has been invested.I need some advice on where to start. It's a daily driver, and I will be doing all the work.

B

bert

My 0.02
I don't care how good it looks or how powerful it is, if you can't steer it or stop it, its junk.
Now that its running go for the safety issues first. Brakes, steering, and no leaks in the exhaust are at the top of my list.
bert

OP
OP
F

fuseman

Loc.
SoCal
I'm with ya,and I agree all are important but should I put the brakes first. I was thinking I'd do just the brake booster and then the power steering then go back for the disc's. Is it worth all the trouble to do this? Will I see that much gain in my braking if I only do the booster?

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
First thing I did was flush and check ALL fluids. That's motor, transmission, transfer case, differentials, etc... You never know what happened while it was apart. Then tackle the drivetrain and brakes. Power steering with 29" tires is bearable, but if you have/will lift. Go for power. Yes, i would get power brakes. and i don't have electric ign. and am fine with it. I have spent all my time and money so far making it RUN well. yeah, it needs rust removed and a paint job and this and that. But those aesthetics aren't worth it if it just sits in the garage or driveway ;D. that's my feelings ::)

OP
OP
F

fuseman

Loc.
SoCal
The motor and fluids are good they've been replaced and the drivetrain is in good shape. I have 33's and a 4"susp. lift.

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
Do disk brakes first. The power booster is a luxury item, not a safety upgrade. Power drums can still pull you to either side w/o warning, over heat, and basicly suck when wet.
IMO, power steering is a more valuable improvent than P/Brakes.
If you're going to lift it, do it next and upgrade the steering at the same time. The best steering system out there will still suck if all the bushings & TREs are wornout. And replacing bushings is most of the labor involved with doing a lift.

Do stereo, wheels, seat covers, etc. last. I hope this would be obvious ;)

OP
OP
F

fuseman

Loc.
SoCal
[quote author=Skuzzlebutt link=board=5;threadid=17890;start=0#msg136864 date=1054082424]

If you're going to lift it, do it next and upgrade the steering at the same time. The best steering system out there will still suck if all the bushings & TREs are wornout. And replacing bushings is most of the labor involved with doing a lift.

The lift is already there. So, I'd be better off doing the disc brake conversion first. Will this improve overall braking.[/quote]

flint_knapper

BRONCO GOD
Loc.
Harvest, AL
disc brakes with out question is the most important
mod. you can do. nothing like knowing which way you will be going when you have to stomp them!! 4whl. power disc brakes is great, no more springs or retainers to screw with!

jpoore

Loc.
San Jose, CA
I did the power brakes first. Then the power steering. Next I'm swapping to a HP44 with disks.

My drums work just fine with 32"s and it is my daily driver ( 40+ miles a day of Bay Area commmuter traffic!!!).

The power steering made to biggest differance in the driving enjoyment, but then my manual box was WAY worn.

The PB upgrade can be done in a couple of hours, so down time is not an issue. Matching the old steering shaft up to the new box was hell for the PS upgrade a took awhile- buy the ready made shafts.

If possible, I'd recommend PB and disks at the same time along with new lines.That way you only open the system and bend MC lines once. But it takes $$$$.

Good luck.

JP

Hnrys69

Bronco Guru
Do the chevy disc brakes.... I just did mine a few months ago and what a world of differance!! After 3 years, I wish i would have done it the first day and made my life less stressful...

As for steering.. I found that armstrong (non power) steering is easier the bigger the tire.. go figure huh?? I went from stock tires to 32in bfg and what a differance.. then 32s to 37in mtr and it was waaaaayyyy easier to turn!! I finally went power after having a kit I bought off ebay for over a year... Power steering is very nice, but IMO not even close to as important as the disc fronts..

I dont know if I will ever go with a power brake setup. I can stop on a dim no prob now with stock everything and the chevy disc brakes..... I still run the stock MC... and no portioning valve :)

astark

Contributor
Bronco God
I sure appreciate my power disc brakes and would highly recommend then as a first place to start.

swood

Loc.
San Jose, CA
Safety Safety Safety!

Get a good set of brakes and steering on there, probably in that order. Don't chince on these items!

I went with the F150 front disc conversion
www.completeoffroad.com

and the BCB rear disc conversion
www.bcbroncos.com

No power brake booster as I do not see the need yet. May add this later.

Did the rock crawler power steering setup myself (as detailed on BC's tech section). Made sure all linkages in the steering system were new/stout U joints, DD shaft, etc.

thesnake

Bronco Guru
I'm going disk on my 66. Having driven a 76 with front disk, I realize that broncos can stop without going all over the place. I had redone the entire brake system on my 73, it was in such sad shape, I had it done, it was pricey as hell (replaced all four drums etc), and it still sucked, and wasn't as good as it should have been.

Disc brakes are the ticket.

snake

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Disc brakes are first and if you want power then do it at the same time or you are going to have to replace the master cylindar twice since you cant get the rod out of the master cylindar piston on a manual set up. I got my Bronco pre internet and had drum brakes for 20 years they SUCK and you risk yourself and your truck if you drive anywhere near a city. Citys collect the dumbest drivers!!! Then get some good bumpers to fend off the idots and then get power steering then if you go off road get a good roll bar we dont need to loose you too. Roll bars are the cheapest inshurence and even a bad bar can be fixed up to save you arse.

OP
OP
F

fuseman

Loc.
SoCal
Heat index was 101 and the humidity was 100% today. Can you say SAUNA! :eek:I already have the roll bar. Air and the bikini top are definately on the list but saftey comes before luxury. :-

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
Hooray for FLORIDA!! now y'all know why my hot floor boards were so bad to have. ;D ;D ;D
I went to Boston once, it was "102 F", ha! felt like 75 F with the FL humidity. ::)

OP
OP
F

fuseman

Loc.
SoCal
Yeah I'm on the edge of the everglades I even lived in
everglades city for a few years .Yes, as a matter of fact I did wrestle alligators for a living). The humidity sucks here. You walk outside a 7am and it's instant sweat. But they say it's better than the snow. I wouldn't know. I was born in Florida.