• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Which D44 is the best to look for to cut down to size

68stang73

Okay i had a thread about either modifying a D30 or 44 and with yalls help you talked me into a D44. So with some looking i have seen mixed reviews on whats the better years to go with. Im looking for an F150 to cut down for my 66. Im looking for a HIGH PINION and DISCS. Now i was thinking of trying the stock discs out with the massive 35x12.50 tires before i jump to Willwood brakes. I think the 1976 d44 is what im after correct?

Prizefighter

Bronco Guru
The 76-77 had the wedges welded on but I do not think they had discs. The 78-79 had the cast wedges and discs.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
76-77 will also have discs and won't have the cast-in wedges like the 78-79s.

Todd Z.

OP
OP

68stang73

Does welded or cast make any difference at all? I thought i was reading something about the knuckles or something to that?

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Just grab a 44 for an eb.

But if I were using an F-150's axles I would leave them full width.

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
Just grab a 44 for an eb.
I agree. It seems a little odd to me that you require high pinion but want a more narrow track then a full width axle. But to each their own. An EB D44 is a direct swap in with plenty of disc brake options but no high pinion.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Not everyone wants to choose between bad pinion angles or tires sticking out past the body. Hence a cut down high pinion makes perfect sense.

I built up a full width rig once. Was a blast. But it sucked on the street. You could never keep it clean, the smallest puddle slathered the side of the truck in grime. It was nearly impossible to drive with the windows down and impossible to drive with your arm on the window ledge. In many places there are laws that would require massive set of wheel flares. If building a trail only rig, full width is a good option to choose. But it isn't the answer to everything.

So a stock width streetable Bronco is still good. But with a fairly basic 3½" lift the pinion angle gets ugly. A cut and turn to the knuckles works, but a high pinion also works and gets the driveshaft up and out of the way. There is also a way to stuff Dana 50 guts into a high pinion 44 housing. A cut down high pinion makes perfect sense to someone who wants to be able to drive it on the street and isn't a dedicated trail rig.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Okay i had a thread about either modifying a D30 or 44 and with yalls help you talked me into a D44. So with some looking i have seen mixed reviews on whats the better years to go with. Im looking for an F150 to cut down for my 66. Im looking for a HIGH PINION and DISCS. Now i was thinking of trying the stock discs out with the massive 35x12.50 tires before i jump to Willwood brakes. I think the 1976 d44 is what im after correct?

I used a 78' with the cast wedges. You can't set your caster to a desired number with them, the knuckles and wedges are cast together. There's some good info to read through on this link.

http://www.cutandturn.com/tech.html

Mark

OP
OP

68stang73

Yeah I'm looking to get better piniin angle for my 3.5" JD long arm. This is going to be a street able/ hunting rig. As I did consider full widths but rather stick with closer to original look of a lifted big tire bronco. Also the areas I go in the mtns is sure easier not being so wide.

OP
OP

68stang73

EB 44 are not that easy to come by here in MT. Or reasonable. Plus I'd like the HP for angle and clearance in the mtns.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
The best D44 you could find would be from an F150 Super Cab.

Those had leaf springs on the front so no wedges, and higher steering arms than a regular F150, about the same height as an EB.

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
I just finished building a 76 Bronco D44 with disc brakes {all Ford parts } for my 70,hope to install it soon.:cool:

OP
OP

68stang73

So is it safe to say the 76 with disc and HP is better way to go then? I can adjust tg caster at the knuckles if need be and with the wedges from JD monster kit I have?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It will then dictate your wheel choices, but is otherwise not a bad choice.
If sticking with 15 or 16 inch wheels, you'll need to watch your backspacing to make sure you don't rub the steering rod ends with the inner edge of the rim.

Paul

OP
OP

68stang73

Ill be running 20" wheels and i have the JD Monster lift 3.5" with long arms. DirtDonk ill be messaging you about some things soon. We talked about a year ago about other ventures.