• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Widen Steel Rims?

BG's 68 Bronco

Is it possible to widen steel rims? I am thinking about increasing the width of the 16" Bronco rims I have to accept a wider tire. I'd like to mount some 33" M/T MTZ or ATZ and I believe they require 10" rims?? I'm by no means a wheel master here so any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

Future lift will be 2" body and 3" Cage. I have new upper and lower quarters to be installed and was going to go with some skinny tires, but ever since seeing Bax's creation with the modified, but stock uncut looking Q's I love the fact you could fit some wider rubber with keeping some of the original look to the Bronco.

i'm not dead set on the M/T's, but they have a bad ass look to them. Anyone running them?? Opinions on these tires?

Cheers

bring on Spring!

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Anything can be done is it a smart thing to do probably not if you have to ask. You should be able to get wider steel 16" rims fairly cheap.

bluebronco69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Damascas, OR
whats the width of the stockers? if 7 then you should be fine up to a 10.5 inch tire, or 11.5 and if 8 inches wide then you will be fine up to a 12.5 wide tire.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:p :p :p When I was into dunebuggy's the old water pumper typ. I would use a ford wheel and a 63 buick cut the outter lip off the ford and the inner on the other and cut the center out and weld together. The only tires then were 11:50X15 L's (farm typ) this made a about 10" rim. They worked good in there day ( its gone) but today you can get about any size you want. Good luck:D :D :D Bill %) :cool: ;D

broncodude_73

I'm running the MTZs on my powestroke they are great for the road they balance well, they dont clean out very well in the mud need a lot of tire speed, and i dont use my F-250 in the rocks thats waht the bronc is for, but i think aired down they would be an overall good trail tire and so far i like them as a mainly road tire.

OP
OP
BG's 68 Bronco

BG's 68 Bronco

broncnaz said:
Anything can be done is it a smart thing to do probably not if you have to ask. You should be able to get wider steel 16" rims fairly cheap.

i thought i read somewhere that it was hard to find 16" rims with the correct backspacing?? That's the biggest reason I would consider this, but if it isn't then I guess it would be stupid to widen these rims.

1975SPORT

Loc.
Hood River, Oregon
trade some wheels out with your local tire center for a wider one. If the are in descent shape they probly would let you pay the difference which wouldnt be much...you wouldnt have to mess with making sure that they are perfectly balanced, strong, etc...or paying someone to do it.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
BG's 68 Bronco said:
i thought i read somewhere that it was hard to find 16" rims with the correct backspacing?? That's the biggest reason I would consider this, but if it isn't then I guess it would be stupid to widen these rims.
Here's what I found on a quick search. backspacing does seem to be limited but you can custom order wheels from many companies. http://store.summitracing.com/egnse...7+4294795099+115+4294795084&Ntk=KeywordSearch
You could always use spacers to correct the backspacing. all the wheels in the link have 4in back space

uncut

I have five 15x8 outlaw 2, series 62, american rims with uniroyal 31x10.5/15's.

I went uncut, and they just don't do it for me anymore. They have a month wear on them. I want 16 x 6 or 6.5 oem rims with something like a 235x85/16.

Do you know where I might find a set of wheels like yours for the price of a set of wheels like mine? :)

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
As M.T. mentioned "Stockton Wheel", I looked everywhere for a set of factory steel 16's and had no luck, found plenty 8 lugs but no 5.