• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wiper System Needed

swmrdrn

Much to my disbelief, it is actually raining here in Los Angeles. That on my way out the driveway it occurred to me that I never did put those dame vacuum wipers back on after the truck was painted last year. I have been getting by with Rain-X and dry weather. As much as I hate to admit it I might just need to install some wipers.

Looking around on the vendors' website I'm finding some nice looking duel electric setups. The WH one has a $200 synchronizing switch and the Tom's one appears to use a regular switch and leaves them unsynchronized. Their tech support says that they won't hit each other. Does that sound right to you guys? Does anyone have any experience with either of these? What would you recommend?

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Does the one that says they wont hit is because they use shorter wipers and less coverage?

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, be aware the vacuum wiper windshield frame is different from the electric wiper frame. The electric wiper parts don't fit the old frame. Good luck

OP
OP
S

swmrdrn

Hi, be aware the vacuum wiper windshield frame is different from the electric wiper frame. The electric wiper parts don't fit the old frame. Good luck

I know that they are different but the dual motor electric system is supposed to fit both windshield frames. I guess I can always just install the vacuum motors again. I'm just not a huge fan of to more potentials for vacuum leaks.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, many years ago I used marine store universal electric wipers because the vacuum wipers were shot.
After restoring the Bronco I had the original vacuum wipers rebuilt, and I'm very happy with the old system. I just came in from snow plowing the driveway, and the vacuum wipers worked fine. Good luck

tabyers

Loc.
Indiana
You can get a switch from one of the big online electrical component outlets (mouser and the like) that you can put a stock round knob on and is only $80. Sorry I don't have specifics but if any of that info appeals to you, just know that its out there. Theres a slick aftermarket system that only uses one motor like the stock ones but the linkage is much smaller and enclosed. It the nicest set up but its something like $450 so...yeah. I have unsynchronized ones with the larger Cherokee wiper blades and other than being annoying, they work fine. Another thing to keep in mind, and I don't know what kind of vacuum you can pull but, don't forget how junky your vacs were when you had them.

BRONCO26

Loc.
SENOIA
I bought the Toms dual setup and they work great and they don’t touch each other. My bronco had vacuum wipers on it I would suggest this system for the price

OP
OP
S

swmrdrn

I bought the Toms dual setup and they work great and they don’t touch each other. My bronco had vacuum wipers on it I would suggest this system for the price

Which arms did you put on them? They don't come far enough out of sync that they can hit each other?

KDW66

I also have the dual electric from Toms. While the arms don't hit, I wish I would have got the kit from WH. More expensive but with the linkage they are synchronized. unsynchronized drive me crazy and I'm to cheap to get the synchronizing switch. Had to drill the holes a bit bigger in the windshield frame for the studs to go through but they are better than vacuum.

BruceAH

Loc.
Apple Valley
The spacing of the vacuum wipers is different (further apart) than the electric wipers...which is why (with stock arms/blades), no matter how unsynchronized they might be, they don't hit each other.

JSmall

Bronco Guru
Thank you! I can manage that wiring easily. Does that switch syncronize the wiper motors?

It would sure have been great to have those on the way to work today.

You're welcome! That switch will sync the wipers if wired the same as the diagram. Forum member badmuttstang figured out the switch and I made a quick diagram that would help me wire it. Mine works perfectly

tatersalad

Bronco Guru
Two AFI 2 speed marine wiper motors and a 2.00 diode from radio shack did it for me 25 years ago.
They run independently but the diode makes them both go to park when you shut them off..