• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wow.....What did I get myself into????

Salgood

Loc.
Kalispell
Hey guys/gals!! Here are some pics of the progess on the 1969. I just bought my first welder and I am in the process of re-learning to weld......door posts, floors, inner fenders, etc. I am nearly $20g's into this thing including the purchase price. Another $10g's and she should be sweet and running.......wow. Paycheck to paycheck...year after year...what a disease!!!
Thanks everyone who has posted in the past as have spent hours researching these forums!!!

BC

Attachments

• Copy of DSC01451.JPG
    Copy of DSC01451.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 208
  • DSC01548.JPG
    DSC01548.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 248
  • DSC01387.JPG
    DSC01387.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 269
  • DSC01450.JPG
    DSC01450.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 205
  • DSC01472.JPG
    DSC01472.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:

77Bronco636

Looks good!!! You have a good start, and it will be worth it when it is all done!!! Keep us posted.

OP
OP
Salgood

Salgood

Loc.
Kalispell
Updated Pics

Last three days I have been cutting and grinding!!!

Attachments

• DSC01576.JPG
    DSC01576.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 130
  • DSC01577.JPG
    DSC01577.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 105
  • DSC01575.JPG
    DSC01575.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 106
OP
OP
Salgood

Salgood

Loc.
Kalispell
$$$$$

I track all my expenses on Microsoft Money and I am just under $20M. When looking at the Bronco it does not appear that much money could be in it. I bought it for $6,000 and that is included in the $19,000 so there is only $13,000 in parts. Here is a couple pics of the tear down - the previous owner did an AWESOME job of covering all the rust up....now I am doing it the right way. Anyhow here are some of the items I have bought to date that have cost me $$$$$.

Wildhorses 5.5in complete lift, 35 in tires and 17in rims (bought at cost as I have a buddy that works at Les Schwab), swapped in a rebuilt Dana 44 up front with upgraded brakes from The Graveyard...Built a new 9in with a disc brake kit from BC, put in 4.35's with a Detroit Trutrac in the rear, Yukon axles gears from Complete Offroad, power steering from BC, power brakes from Toms, Stainless steering colum and wheel from Toms, new gas tanks from Tom's, all my sheet metal from Tom's. I also bought a complete gasket kit to go through the NP435. It all adds up. There is a bunch of small misc stuff as well.

The Welder I bought is a Hobart Handler 140 wirefeed. So far I love it!!! I have only welded junk metal so far as practice. I am a banker here in Kalispell, MT so I am fotunate enough to have quite a few clients/friends that have been able to help me or give me good deals on a lot of the tools that I have purchased.

The remaining I have left is bodywork, ONYX liner on bottom, engine bay, and tub, yellow paint, bumpers, wiring, custom dash, fuel injection, and it should be darn close!!!!

Anyhow, let me know if you have any questions - I have pics of the whole process to date!! By the way I need to sell these wheels that you see....they are sweet!!

BC

Attachments

• DSC01364.JPG
    DSC01364.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC01348.JPG
    DSC01348.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC01009.JPG
    DSC01009.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC01001.JPG
    DSC01001.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 92
  • Copy of DSC00976.JPG
    Copy of DSC00976.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 62

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
I think the only people who would be surprised at the $20K figure would be those who havent had their bronco long, or hadnt really taken it apart to make it somewhat new again. If you do any regearing and upgrading of the axle shafts, locker (air, mechanical, etc), joints, bearings, brakes, seals...your looking at $2500-3000+ and thats if you've shopped around and had "deals" on some of the gear installs...if no deals the price goes up, up and away...and thats just axles. Fresh motor (all about how far you want to go), fuel lines, fresh radiator, engine accessories, induction upgrades...figure $3000-6000+++...and it goes from there. Stock is great, but with the price of gas, efficiency is key...regearing, upgrading the tranny, fuel injection...it adds up quickly...top that off with rust repair, body work, quality paint (not show paint, but quality paint)...its not cheap even if your doing it yourself. $20K would be a minimum needed; 30K or more is more realistic...and thats doing the majority of the work yourself.

I have a bronco buddy here in town, he bought a pretty nice truck, got a couple of deals on some addional parts (tires, wheels, soft top), has gone back through and fixed some wiring (not rewired), stock-swapped some suspension parts, other "maintenance"-type work, etc; nothing "hard-core" or too invasive mostly stock fixes, maintenance and replacing worn out stock parts and he has spent probably close to $5k (on top of what he paid for it) and hasnt even thought about body-work, repair, etc...no major engine work, etc...it runs great and he is having a good time and using it as a DD most of the time....which is what its all about. My point is, it adds up quickly...very quickly.

Salgood, its looking good; keep us updated.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Salgood

Salgood

Loc.
Kalispell
trailpsycho...you hit the nail on the head. When I started this project I thought there was no way I would be into it this much......I read these same posts as a rook and said how are these guys spending this much.

I have done a few mods to rigs in the past and I have always wanted to do a Bronco....I want to do it right and take no short cuts. As I get deeper and deeper into it there are spots where I will say ... I can do that later...but then I think man I have it all torn down...just do it now and do it right even if it adds another six months of saving and work to the prject.

It is expensive to do it right.....but I know as we all do that it is going to be saaawwwweeeettttt when it is done!!! I'll keep posting pics as I get the work done. A buddy and I are planning on welding the inner fender on tonight.;D

BC

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
Salgood said:
...I thought there was no way I would be into it this much......
BC

De Ja Vu ... Mine was suppose to be a tub swap (4-day max). Mutated into a full blown resto-mod. But yes, very nice when done.

..are they ever done?

Mick

rubberneck

Contributor
Loc.
Severn, Maryland
hey Salgood ... are you planning to take care of the underside of the tub while its hanging from those come-alongs? then once the under carriage if done drop it back on the frame and roll to the painter? I just started tearing down mine and was thinking of getting a rottisary or come-alongs.

Is that POR-15 you used on the frame?

mkaenel

Bronco Guru
Loc.
La Costa, CA
Way to go... I haven't put a final price sheet on mine (the wife would kill me).

I will eventually post some shots of what I have done and explain what is left to do.

All I know is every thing I do to my weekend toy is going to be brand new and a serious upgrade. :)

OP
OP
Salgood

Salgood

Loc.
Kalispell
Updated

Here are some pics from the last 5-6 hours of measuring, grinding, spot welding. As expected, we are off at the moment. The top of the door post is close, however the bottom is 1/4-1/2 inch off.......we decided to bag it tonight and will start working on it again next week when time allows.

Rubberneck: That is POR-15 on the frame which I brushed on. Make sure and use the metal ready prep before you brush it on and make sure the surface is rough so it grabs well. I am very happy with the way mine turned out. After I am done with the metal work the engine bay will get sprayed with liner. I will then bring the tub home, flip it upside down, seal up all the seams with a POR product, and take it back in and have it sprayed. At that point the body will be bolted down on the frame for the last time......hopefully...or I will go insane!!!!!!

Here are the pics from tonights work...

Attachments

• DSC01585.JPG
    DSC01585.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC01592.JPG
    DSC01592.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC01591.JPG
    DSC01591.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC01581.JPG
    DSC01581.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC01580.JPG
    DSC01580.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC01578.JPG
    DSC01578.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 44
OP
OP
Salgood

Salgood

Loc.
Kalispell
Helllpppppp

Ok, this is the second night of measuring and trying to get the inner fenders, door post and rocker to all fit.....no luck.

I am measuring 39 inches at the top of the door post which is good, but when I FORCE the rocker in place I am measuring 39.5in at the bottom of the post...this is after I tilted the kick panel up to the point that it looks like it is way off at the top.....wow..what a mess. I know I will get it done.....just a real pain. I am guessing that I have to trim the front of the new rockers to get them to fit snug.....any advice before I start grinding????

Thanks!!

BC

icebreaker88

Loc.
Warren,MI
I can easily see 20k in a Bronco, I have well over 20k in mine including the purchase price of $3800. I built mine up for wheeling, I dont think there is anything I did not replace or modify on the whole truck. I did the entire drivetrain from warn shafts,ctms,gears,lockers,t-case,trans,hydro,body work,cage, seats and LOTS of frabrication.
This is what it looked like when I bought it.
mikebefore.jpg

This is almost finished, since I have cut the rockers and also installed rock sliders.
100_0508.jpg

OP
OP
Salgood

Salgood

Loc.
Kalispell
New Pics 9/3/2006

Here are some new pics....after what felt like a million hours we got everything to line up!!!!! Thank god for 2badrotties and his previous posts that I have read up on. The passenger side is all tacked togther - my uncle (professional welder) will be by Monday morning to permanently weld it all in place. In the meantime, we have started tearing down the drivers side. Remember, a rookie can do this......but it does make your brain hurt alot!!;D

Attachments

• DSC01600.JPG
    DSC01600.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC01599.JPG
    DSC01599.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC01602.JPG
    DSC01602.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC01603.JPG
    DSC01603.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 39
OP
OP
Salgood

Salgood

Loc.
Kalispell
More Pics

Here are some more pics of the drivers side getting cut up. I have opted to stop cutting and will focus on getting the door post in place. The guy that owned this Bronco before me cut out the center of the floor support that goes under the tunnel cover:mad: ...and I noticed the more I cut the more flex I am getting on the passenger side:eek: which has all the new metal in it......the last thing I want to do it start screwing all that alignment up!!! Anyhow here are the pics...any ideas on the floor support?????

The NP 435 comes right through where the floor support was cut out...:cry:

Attachments

• DSC01589.JPG
    DSC01589.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC01607.JPG
    DSC01607.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC01606.JPG
    DSC01606.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC01605.JPG
    DSC01605.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 25

spittinfire

Loc.
Maiden, NC
Cutting out the bad metal, grinding and the pre-welding prep was the worst part for my on my 67 Mustang. Fitting the new metal was a pain too but not as bad, once thats done the welding was cake....

OP
OP
Salgood

Salgood

Loc.
Kalispell
Updated----new Pics

Here are some updated pics...thank God the door posts and rockers are in and lined up....the door sag was a real bummer to deal with but thanks to Andy's threads and advice we got her figured out......a lot of work but definitly worth it!!!;D

Attachments

• DSC01624.JPG
    DSC01624.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC01600.JPG
    DSC01600.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC01623.JPG
    DSC01623.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC01627.JPG
    DSC01627.JPG