• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Yes - Another "turn signal not working" thread

jatepper

Hey guys. So, I recently got done installing my Vintage Air AC kit and also a Retro Sound bluetooth stereo system. Now, my turn signals don't work!

I replaced the flashers for both my turn signal and emergency blinkers. Turn signal still not working. What am I missing?

Thanks. Did a search without good results.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Do any of them work, or are you getting nothing at all?
No blinkers AND no hazards?

And have you verified that, even if there is no flashing action, that there is also no steady lighting either?

Paul

MDF1Racer

Loc.
Vista
Double check the plug that attaches all the wires coming from the steering column. Push each wire into the plug as well just to make sure one did not pull out.

OP
OP
J

jatepper

Do any of them work, or are you getting nothing at all?
No blinkers AND no hazards?

And have you verified that, even if there is no flashing action, that there is also no steady lighting either?

Paul

My hazards do indeed work, just not my blinkers. I did verify that the blinkers are not working. When I activate either blinker, the cluster indicator lights are not coming on, and the blinkers themselves are not blinking either.

Double check the plug that attaches all the wires coming from the steering column. Push each wire into the plug as well just to make sure one did not pull out.

I will tonight. When I installed my AC vents, I'm wondering if I knocked something there. Do the blinkers have a direct ground to the frame from or back side of the dash, or do they just tie in to the ground from the main harness?

mtxride

Loc.
San Antonio
I'm wondering if I knocked something there. Do the blinkers have a direct ground to the frame from or back side of the dash, or do they just tie in to the ground from the main harness?

Maybe something got knocked loose. This exact problem has happened to me a few times after working behind the dash... I'll have no blinkers but hazards work fine. I'll check for loose wires or bad connections, unplug then re-plug any plugs, then the blinkers magically start working again. I have a dash re-wire planned in the near future which will hopefully eliminate this from happening again.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My hazards do indeed work, just not my blinkers. I did verify that the blinkers are not working. When I activate either blinker, the cluster indicator lights are not coming on, and the blinkers themselves are not blinking either.

At least that means that the distribution wires, including the turn signal switch and grounds are in fact functioning.
Very common for a ground to get knocked loose here or there, but if that was the case then the hazard flashers would not work either.
Now, if they were dim or of inconsistent brightness, I would still suspect a bad ground.

The fronts ground on the body at the core support just behind the headlights.
The rears ground to the body inside the tail light housing.

When I installed my AC vents, I'm wondering if I knocked something there

Very possible. You said you bought new flasher units? Just for giggles you could swap them to see if you just happened to get a bad one. It's so common these days that it's almost the first thing to check even though you had the problem before.

But a quick check too, would be to see if there is power in to one side of the flasher unit for the turn signals. If not, then the source got broken. I can't remember if the power comes from the headlight switch (like it does for the brake lights) or has a fuse.
I'll check when I get a chance, but maybe someone can chime in before that.

Good luck.

Paul