• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

your D-44 locker of choice

OP
OP
joe

joe

Bronco Guru
Hey Joe, part of the bama gang here, i've broken most every brand of locker in my front-end at some point in time ie: 2 e-z lockers, trac-loc, and lastly the detroit. The detroit broke when both front axle shafts let go. As Ross said, the e-zlockers are a little more durable and usually cheaper to fix, unless you break the couplers. I myself, now running Superior/Longfields with a full-spool. The ox and arb don't give any problems because they are effectively full spools when locked. Hope this info helps.

Brian
ps-I had the metallic tan eb on 38.5 sx's

yeah, i think i remember you, i saw you go up bents and dents and thought to myself, heck if he can make it i probobly can, well after i hit the only tree on the trail and then the opposite bank then pulled cable, man that was fun, you made it look easy,

anyway, i orderd a detroit anyway, funds are tight right now so hopefully i'll get some good out of it, i'm runnin yukon 4340 axle w/super joints so hopefully i wont break things up there so easy.

thanx to all for the advise, joe

OX1

Bronco Guru
detriot rear/arb front

been running the detriot for about two years, broke a shaft or two! no problems whatsoever:cool: my rig is street driven occasionally, and havent noticed extreme tire wear, its all in how you drive;)

just had the arb installed, so i havent ran it yet, trying to get ready for the bronco safari in moab!!!;D ;D

side note: all this and moving west at the same time, means no bronco go vroom vroom:cry: :-[ :cry: so ill be sitting in the seat on the trailer watching!

I can't believe I've been that lucky with detroits. Had a 60 rear in my fullsize on 44 boggers and broke 12 rear shafts in that thing (could snap them at will) and no problems with the detroit (eventually went 14 bolt).

Front 60, same rig with 44 boggs again. Broke 2 sock outers in one shot once, another stock outer and one inner (seperate occasions). Also sheared the spline section of a HD, 6 States driveshaft completely in half and still runnin that detroit?

Do most bust D44 detroits??

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That fact is REALLy irkin you, ain't it......... :p

;D ..I know you..if it has 4 wheels and an engine..you'll wheel it. You better have it at Gore so we can 'try it out' too..:p

Ryans71

Loc.
Milton, Wa
ARB up front
Mini spool in rear, going to ARB (just ordered from Complete Offroad yesterday;D ;D )

Ryan.

OX1

Bronco Guru
;D ..I know you..if it has 4 wheels and an engine..you'll wheel it. You better have it at Gore so we can 'try it out' too..:p

I built it as a rock crawler, but it turned out to be a rock cringer, damn kids never turn out the way you want........... :p

PS, you just want me to bring that so you won't be 4th best again, behind a buggy, me and iron bear.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I built it as a rock crawler, but it turned out to be a rock cringer, damn kids never turn out the way you want........... :p

PS, you just want me to bring that so you won't be 4th best again, behind a buggy, me and iron bear.

bwa ha ha ..talk is cheap, Jersey Boy. Bring it on!;D

A&Mbronco

Loc.
Houston,TX
I'm running an aussie, i've had no problems on 37's for about 2yrs now. But if you have the coin go with an ARB

head

Loc.
Kalama WA
Spool up-front? Only one person on this post has it. Why? Its cheap, reliable, and dependable. I will be gearing and locking soon and am soaking up the info like a sponge. I can understand not having it in the rear for street-ability, but whats the deal w/ not having the posi in the front on demand? Please continue thread.

c-man

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Spool up-front? Only one person on this post has it. Why? Its cheap, reliable, and dependable. I will be gearing and locking soon and am soaking up the info like a sponge. I can understand not having it in the rear for street-ability, but whats the deal w/ not having the posi in the front on demand? Please continue thread.

c-man

The reason to avoid a spool in front is because it is extremely difficult to turn when the frontend is locked up solid. It's also hard on steering components. Before someone pipes up and says to just unlock one side I'll mention that doing so is even worse since it creates torque steer. I.E. When you hit the accelerator the steering pulls one way, when you gear down it pulls the other. This creates a very dangerous situation as anyone that has driven this way knows. I've done so myself but only to get my rig down out of the mountain so it could be loaded onto a trailer.

icebreaker88

Loc.
Warren,MI
I never unlock one hub for steering. As for being able to make tight turns, I leave the front engaged and it will pull itself better than if I disengaged it with my twin stick. Just have to use a little throttle for steering. I do have 1.25" DOM tie rod and drag links with hydo-assist. Sometimes I will disengage the the rear with the twin stick to make a really tight turn. I can handle the occasional 2 or 3 point turns for the realiabilty, strength and cost of the spool over a auto/selectable locker. Also I dont use mine for alot of DD use. I have driven some miles on paved roads going from trail to trail without unlocking the hubs and it is also not too bad.