• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Yukon Hardcore Hubs

MIDEVIL214

Anyone have experience installing these (YHC70007) in the EB D44? I decided to try them out with the Stage 8 locking spindle nuts. I've got one side in and functioning. The other side functions but it is nearly impossible to unlock. I'm running the thinnest of the three spacers provided as the others keep things pushed out too far to install the stub shaft retainer clip.

Yukon told me to "grease the sh%# out of everything" after explaining the problem. That didnt work so now I'm being told to take the spacer to a machine shop on my dime and have them take ten thousandths off until they work correctly. Not an ideal solution in my mind.

Their 'installer' said this is common on older Fords but there is no mention of it in the instructions. Real close to sending these back and installing my Warns.

Bronco Brian

Bronco Guru
Maybe no real help, But I had to grind my stub shafts on my Dana 60 to get my Warns to turn . The shaft was rubbing on the inside of the hub.

OP
OP
MIDEVIL214

MIDEVIL214

I removed the spacer they said to have cut down, just to see if it worked with a little more play. Unfortunately this made no difference. I don't see how any machine work on the spacer could help. The lockout will easily move 75% of the way from lock to free and then bind

I dropped the old Warn hub in for fun and it worked fine....Tomorrow I will swap over all the Yukon components from the drivers side (which was working properly), and see if the passenger side still does the same thing. If it does I'll probably have to pull spindle nut assembly and reinstall, then throw some tools around!

welndmn

Bronco Guru
If you have the other side apart, I'd measure the wheel hub depth and stub shaft stick out too.
It seems more likely to have something different on your dog than a mass produced part.

OP
OP
MIDEVIL214

MIDEVIL214

I'm not on here that often but had to follow up with results for those who responded. It wasnt the Yukon hubs, it was the Stage 8 spindle nuts. The D44 Yukon product has 'spring retainer' that the hub spring rests against and provides tension. This item wouldn't clear the large snap ring used with the stage 8 product. This caused the spring to sit crooked. The overall assembled length caused some tension issues as well making unlocking virtually impossible.

Sounds like the stage 8 guys hadn't tested with the newish Hardcore Hubs. I worked with them for a while on measurements and info but in the end had to point them in Yukons direction. My time in the garage is limited (12 month old) so I had to punt.

Have pics if anyone is interested.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Was it you that posted somewhere else that there was an interference issue between Stage-8 and Yukon hubs? I seem to remember someone saying there was an issue, in so many words.
Obviously, your thread was started a couple of months ago, so I could just be remembering it from here. But it seems like someone had put 2 and 2 together and stated as much.

Glad you got it figured out. Sorry you had to go through the hassle though.
Especially with your "other duties" such as they are.

Paul