• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

ZF gurus - split case to replace seals?

bsquared

Contributor
It looks as if the only way to replace the front and rear seals on a ZFS5-42 transmission is to split the case to be able to get the seals out. Do most folks agree that it has to be pulled apart and is this a big deal?

Doesn't seem to be that big a deal to separate the case. so I'll get that gasket coming. Any "watch out fors" on the list when replacing these seals?

Mine is a 1989 from an F250 and both current seals seem to be holding, but I'd like to replace them while I have the chance.

Thanks for your input, B2

bronco217

You'll need more than a gasket. You have to remove the 3 freeze plug looking plugs by the shifter to disconnect the shifter and replace them. It's a little tricky getting it back together but doable if you mechanicly savvy.

Tom