• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear Diff Gasket

Horsepower

Loc.
Santa Monica
How difficult is it to install a new rear diff gasket? I've got a small leak from the current one, and it looks like it hasn't been changed and cleaned up in a bit. Since there's no rear diff cap, I'm assuming I have to jack up the truck, pull the rear axles from the diff splines, pull the driveshaft and pull the pumpkin to get to the gasket. Correct?
Any parts I should replace while in there?
Also, when reinstalling, what's the best way to properly tighten (to specs) the rear yolk, etc. Thanks for any advice. Erik.

70_Steve

Old Guy
How difficult is it to install a new rear diff gasket? I've got a small leak from the current one, and it looks like it hasn't been changed and cleaned up in a bit. Since there's no rear diff cap, I'm assuming I have to jack up the truck, pull the rear axles from the diff splines, pull the driveshaft and pull the pumpkin to get to the gasket. Correct?
Any parts I should replace while in there?
Also, when reinstalling, what's the best way to properly tighten (to specs) the rear yolk, etc. Thanks for any advice. Erik.
Not too bad to replace, but then " not too bad" is relative... Yes, pull the axles, remove the driveshaft, then pull the pumpkin. Some people use a gasket and others used just RTV. I used a combination of RTV (Black Ultra Seal) and a gasket. I'd replace the axle seals since you've got the axles out already. I think the torque spec on the pumpkin nuts is 40 ft/lbs but not quite sure. My spec is one grunt! Make sure you don't overtighten the u-joint u-bolts. My spec is a little locktite on the nuts, then two fingers on a 1/4" ratchet. Should not have to mess with the yoke.

MADHATTER

Get a paper gasket from NAPA, Valley Gear or whoever. You will need to hit a Home Depot and get some laquer thinner and clean the mating surfaces, also use a razor blade to get rid of the old gasket material where it is. Hit that gasket with high tack front and back.... the directions are on the can and you will be good to go.