• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Msd 6a

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I have a Duraspark system that works well. I've been reading the MSD ad and about all the great stuff MSD can do for my car. I have also read a lot of old posts on this site about problems with the reliability of these things. I would like better starting, performance, and mileage but not at the expence of reliability. I carry a spare Duraspark module with my trail kit and can get a new one anywhere which isn't necessarily true with the MSD. Should I just leave good enough alone??:?

astark

Contributor
Bronco God
I have a complete MSD system and love it, but I also upgraded from a stock points system. My 6A box has been problem free for over six years and totally reliable. The only problem I have ever had was a cracked magnetic pickup in the distributor which took me forever to diagnose.

With that being said, I would recommend sticking with your Duraspark as I do not think you will notice much of a difference between the two in common application.

But once again, I run the MSD and love it ;)

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I found the duraspark to be very reliable and cheap. I used it for 17 years and only went through a couple modules in that time. Heck the first one I changed (around 1995) still had the Ford part number stamped on it from 1974. I've never used an MSD ignition so I can't really speak about them but I find it difficult to believe it could deliver very much better performance and mileage on a well-tuned stock engine.

The only reason I'm not using it any more is because I went EFI.

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have a complete MSD system and love it,

same here.....going on 4 years.

Mine sits sometimes for 2 months or better without being started, all you haqve to do is get gas in the carb and it starts immediately. I have read a lot of negative comments about MSD products but I have had very good service with mine.

StnePny

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Santa Monica, Ca.
I have run a Duraspark II with a 6AL box, I like the way it works, but, just ;ike the stock module they some time go out - being electrical parts (don't last forever). Just like carrying a spare module, I carry a spare MSD box, when it went bad I swap the other in & sent the bad one to MSD for diagnose & rebuild. Was pretty cheap to repair.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Just stick with the duraspark box your hard hot starts are probably due to initial timing or lean carb issues not system issues. So a new box probably wouldnt change that aspect.
I've seen to many MSD boxes die for me to consider them reliable enough for my use much less recommend that anyone use one for anything other than racing not to mention the price of them.
If you havent done so already a new coil and some good plug wires(like ford motorsport wires) can help a little.