• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Which off-the-shelf, low cost, low pressure electric fuel pump?

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
So here is what I am looking for and would like recommendations.

-In-line electric fuel pump
-Low cost (preferably under $50)
-OEM or off-the shelf (stocked at any/most parts stores)
-Low pressure (exact pressure doesnt matter because I'm feeding an accumulator with an overflow line back to the tanks)

I will be running both thanks and and a 6 port electric valve.

I have searched and read about the carter 4070 and others, but I didn't think they were an OEM replacements and where mainly not stocked by parts stores. Is that incorrect? Are there other options?

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
the master E8012S has been used by many as a low pressure to feed the accumilator, but i've had several problems with them going out. i replaced them with carter P4070 and they work great. do yourself a favor and spend the extra.

OP
OP
bronko69er

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
My biggest concern is having either go out and not being able to get a replacement right away. I'd rather not have to wait 5 days or whatever for an aftermarked pump to arrive by mail.

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Cant beat the 4070, I have never heard of one of them going bad, however I am sure it has happened. If something happened to the 4070 an inline from the parts store with a little hose and it could easily be bypassed using power at the 4070.

OP
OP
bronko69er

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
Cant beat the 4070, I have never heard of one of them going bad, however I am sure it has happened. If something happened to the 4070 an inline from the parts store with a little hose and it could easily be bypassed using power at the 4070.

Good point. And a small cheapie might be good for a trail spare too.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Here, here on the 4070. Only problem I had with mine was once we had been in the mud and a few days and a thousand miles later, I lost contact at one of the terminals, took me a while to figure it out, but a little jiggle and a re-tightening and its been golden since (20K miles).

nrramse

The P4070 can be found at NAPA. See http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?R=NFPP4070_0202261773

I've had one for several months. I haven't had any bad luck with it, though its kind of loud especially when cold (I can hear it over the top of my idling motor).

I did have really bad luck with some $40 diaphram pumps from Autozone. The first one I bought lasted many years, but after that they would only last a few months.

Newell

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
X whatever on the carter 4070.
Those cheapy pumps are not so cheap at $40 a pop when you have to keep replacing them I've never seen them last very long. As for the carter pump the first 4070 I ran for 25+ years before I replaced it but it was still working when I replaced it I only replaced it because it was 25+ years old. Also the carter pumps can be rebuilt as long as the motro still turns.

nrramse

I've got a seperate pump on each tank (connected to a toggle switch), which was pretty useful when I was running cheapies because when one broke I'd just switch tanks.

Newell

Pedestrian

Bronco Missionary
You won't need a trail spare unless you bash that pump into a rock.

I just did exactly that last week on my Fullsize:cry:
My local Checker/ O'reilys has them in stock under the Airtex name but they are the Carter pump, stamped right in the housing.

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hmmm , when my cheapy $40 dollar pump went out after less than a year , the towing bill to get it home was $80 for about 7 miles on a Sunday.
Had to get a tow because my (then) three year old was with me and it was hot out , Momma was at work.

So the math is :
1 good pump = $80
or
1 cheap pump = $40
towing = $80
1 good pump = $80
Total = $200

Any further questions ?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
More then likely you can keep the spare high pressure pump and use it as the low pressure transfer pump in a pinch, if you ever need it.