• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Good 351 donor?

mnido

What year and vehicle is a good donor for 351 ? I want to run a carbureated 351 with a serpentine setup. I have the stock 1974, 302 with a recent rebuild but want more horsepower. Thanks

Nightstick

Bronco guy
Depends how much dinero you wanna spend and whether you want a roller or flat tappet. Are you talking drop-in or something you're gonna rebuild yourself?

Check out the 351 rebuild thread in my signature... lotta good info there

TN1776

Bronco Guru
Later model roller blocks are the way to go. I run a Ford Racing crate motor and I'm happy with its performance, plus its a roller block so you can run whatever roller cam you want.

Quick & Dirty

Lots of 70's mid and full size cars had them. 73 up, Galaxie/LTD 351 was the smallest engine offered, but most have been crushed out of the junkyards by now. 85 and later would be from trucks and vans.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
After about '83 they went to a 1-piece rear main seal, good thing. I would look for an '83 and up just for the better rear main seal. The last years ('94 and up, F4 casting number) have provisions for roller cam and most cases the roller cam itself.

Any of the EFI engines can be converted back to carburated with an intake and distributor swap. Only thing is the roller cam will need special attention for the distributor gear or self destruction will happen.

Some crown vics from the mid 80's had the 351W but mostly you will be looking at trucks. Used in half ton through 1-ton. Vans too.

Serpentine drive is a bolt on choice, will go on any year engine. The 5.0 Explorer serpentine drive is considered the best choice, but special attention to the harmonic damper is needed as the balance is different between the Explorer 5.0 and the 351/5.8s. Some years of vans will have a factory Saginaw pump. Serpentine started on these around '85 or after (parents old '84 was still V-belt, I remember).

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not that you'd miss the difference if you were looking at one, but most (if not all) of the late seventies full-size cars that had a 351 in them, had a 351M instead of a 351W. And unless you want to open up another can-o-worms, you want a "W" engine.

Paul