• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Adapter gasket

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
I pulled my D 20 yesterday for a rebuild and Im trying to get a list together of any other stuff needed when it goes back in. I notices there is a big gasket on the back of the 6 cyl 3 speed trans that goes between the trans and the D 20 adapter. The gasket still looks to be in good shape but I dont want to take a chance of reusing it and getting a leak. Does anyone know where I can get a new one? Im really doubting my local autozone has one. Thanks.

70_Steve

Old Guy
I pulled my D 20 yesterday for a rebuild and Im trying to get a list together of any other stuff needed when it goes back in. I notices there is a big gasket on the back of the 6 cyl 3 speed trans that goes between the trans and the D 20 adapter. The gasket still looks to be in good shape but I dont want to take a chance of reusing it and getting a leak. Does anyone know where I can get a new one? Im really doubting my local autozone has one. Thanks.
If I remember, that gasket is included in the gasket set you get in a rebuild kit.If not, just use RTV, or some silicone gasket maker. There is no fluid in the adapter housing.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I've installed several tranny to transfer case adapters with just a bead of silicone without a single leak. I wouldn't worry about buying a whole gasket kit just to get the one little gasket.

OP
OP
addicted

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
Its a pretty big gasket. It covers the entire rear section of the trans. One big flat gasket over the entire mating surface and it also covers a couple big holes. It would take a decent amount of RTV and Im just worried it would wipe out any bead I tried to make when I wrestle it back into position. I would honestly feel better having a gasket.