• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rusted Bleeder Screws HELP!

jperry1290

After several sprayings of liquid wrench i was able to remove the rear drum bleeder screws with the assistance of vise grips. However, the bleeder screws in the front are much harder to reach. I tried a flare wrench which only rounded the corners. It does not appear that vise grips will fit nor will a 6 point socket. Where do I go from here?

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
Last set I worked on I had to remove the wheel cylinders from the backing plates and use a 6 point socket on them to free them up. At that point they are cheap enough its almost worth throwing on a new set.

u10072

Bronco Guru
Wheel cylinders are literally $10 each--if they are that rusted the internals probably are too-- always only use 6-point wrenches-- never 12 on brake stuff

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Like other has said, stop wasting your time and just replace them. You are going to have to bleed them either way...

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Good excuse to replace with a set of speed bleeders. You can find them in the Help! section of most auto parts stores. Makes bleeding the brakes a one-man job.

reynard101

Bronco Guru
X10 just replace the wheel cylinders and be done with it!

X12+. Just be careful. Depending on how rusted up things are the brake lines may need some attention too. I had a rusty one and snapped the brake lines off. But if they're that rusty they should be replaced anyway.