• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

c4

joshua

Contributor
does a c4 that was bolted to a strait six have the right bell housing to bolt up to a 351??? also what can i look for to confirm that is a c4?? its out of a two wheel drive f 250 so i know that i will need the dana 20 intermediate housing. is there any thing else that i will have to change on this two wheel drive trany to work with my bronco. this trany is on for sale for $50 so i dont want to buy and wind up spengin $400 to make it work.

thanx josh

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
A c-4 in an F-250?? Wonder how that happened?...I'm pretty certain that Ford didn't do it.

On the other hand..the only 6 in an F-250 would be the 240/300 and it has the same bell housing bolt pattern as the 302/351W does.

Not at a 2wd C-4 would be much use to ya anyway...?

OP
OP
joshua

joshua

Contributor
Not at a 2wd C-4 would be much use to ya anyway...?[/QUOTE]
----------------------------------------------------------------
y are they weaker or some thing

turbotim2

Not at a 2wd C-4 would be much use to ya anyway...?
----------------------------------------------------------------
y are they weaker or some thing[/QUOTE]

You would need to buy the adapter and spud shaft to convert the tailshaft to fit the D20. You would easily spend more then $400 on those parts if you needed to buy them.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
does a c4 that was bolted to a strait six have the right bell housing to bolt up to a 351???
-probably not. The C4 was never bolted up to the big I6 and the small I6 has a different pattern

also what can i look for to confirm that is a c4??
- does it have a removable bellhousing, the C4 is the only older Ford auto trans that the bellhousing will unbolt from the case.

its out of a two wheel drive f 250 so i know that i will need the dana 20 intermediate housing. is there any thing else that i will have to change on this two wheel drive trany to work with my bronco.
-They never put a C4 into an F250. Either not a c4 or not stock. Also the output shaft will need replacing as well. Not just the tailhousing.

this trany is on for sale for $50 so i dont want to buy and wind up spengin $400 to make it work.
-It will probably end up costing more then $400 and still not be as good as finding a Bronco C4.

OP
OP
joshua

joshua

Contributor
does a c4 that was bolted to a strait six have the right bell housing to bolt up to a 351???
-probably not. The C4 was never bolted up to the big I6 and the small I6 has a different pattern

- does it have a removable bellhousing, the C4 is the only older Ford auto trans that the bellhousing will unbolt from the case.

its out of a two wheel drive f 250 so i know that i will need the dana 20 intermediate housing. is there any thing else that i will have to change on this two wheel drive trany to work with my bronco.
-They never put a C4 into an F250. Either not a c4 or not stock. Also the output shaft will need replacing as well. Not just the tailhousing.

this trany is on for sale for $50 so i dont want to buy and wind up spengin $400 to make it work.
-It will probably end up costing more then $400 and still not be as good as finding a Bronco C4.

cool gave up on that one. i have a pic of one that came with the bronco (was in the back seat) its a couple of posts down. maybe you could take a look at that one and tell me if a eb c4. (post is called correct c4 shaft)

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer

Never say never.

F250's and 350's were available with the 300. F250 with the C4. F350 got the 300 and an FMX (with removable bellhousing). FMX has cast iron case.

Attachments

• converter ID.jpg
    converter ID.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 14

bax

Contributor
Old Member
But never as a 4x4

the 200 and 240 6's have the v8 bellhousing don't they?

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Oh got that wrong the 240 and 300 have the v8 bell the 140. 200 and 250 do not. is that correct?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Oh got that wrong the 240 and 300 have the v8 bell the 140. 200 and 250 do not. is that correct?

Well there is the big bell 250 that uses a small V8 bellhousing. At least most of the bolts of one anyway.

I guess I should never be surprised at anything they did back in the day. There have been plenty of oddball engine/trans/vehicle combos that at least were possible on paper. Just actually seeing one in person sometimes makes 427 shelbys look like they are in every backyard garage.

Ohio Bronco 21

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cleveland
Well there is the big bell 250 that uses a small V8 bellhousing. At least most of the bolts of one anyway.

I guess I should never be surprised at anything they did back in the day. There have been plenty of oddball engine/trans/vehicle combos that at least were possible on paper. Just actually seeing one in person sometimes makes 427 shelbys look like they are in every backyard garage.

I have a 77 Maverick 250 with a C4 on it. Bax helped me get the parts to convert that c4 to have a dana20 on it now. Its now mounted (all of it) under a 73 Bronco I am building.
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164007

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I thought the 250 had the v8 bell.