• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Strange Engine Noise/Creamy Looking Oil

gslack

Loc.
Colorado Springs
Whats up yall, I have a 1969 Bronco with a windsor 302 I have been working on for about a year now, all the external parts on the block have been replaced but I have not really messed with the valve springs, pushrods, cam shaft, rocker arms, etc.

Anyhow though, I just recently got an aftermarket Edelbrock air cleaner and i punched the hole in the thing and installed the pcv valve and what not, and today I checked my dipstick and I found this weird creamy lookin stuff on the dip stick. At first I thought blown head gasket, but then I dropped the grommet for the oil cap and I could not find it, so i went to pep boys to get a new cap and an air cleaner replacement.

Anyhow, I take the air cleaner apart and the weird creamy shit is all up around where the pcv is stuck into the air cleaner and that part of the filter is particularly dirty, it looked like frapuccino or something. so i got a new air cleaner and i cleaned out the pan and stuff and got going.

but the thing is, at 2400 rpm my engine makes this weird noise like a slinky almost but only at 2400 rpm and runs fine.

I am about to take apart the engine and replace the head gasket, rocker arms and all that stuff cus it gives me an excuse to do it anyways, but i honestly have no clue what is going on here.

i know a blown head gasket could be the cause of the creamy stuff but there is that weird noise and it was all in the air cleaner and pcv.

heeellpp?

akafrankcastle

Loc.
Kansas City
The frappuccino is likely being created by coolant in the oil. Whether it is coming from a head gasket, intake manifold, etc. remains to be seen. Had a similar issue on a motor a few years ago. Turns out the intake manifold gasket had developed a leak causing the coolant to mix with the oil and get whipped in to that froth, similar to what you are seeing. You could let it sit over night and then slowly open the oil pan drain plug to see if you get coolant seepage before you get oil.

As for your slinky sound, haven't got a clue. What part of town are you in? There are more than a few of us running around Colorado Springs and I am sure someone would be willing to stop by and have a look.

Get it fixed quick so you can make the monthly breakfast in Denver next weekend. ;D

MattW

I agree with akafrankcastle, probably check the intake manifold gasket before pulling the heads. It may not be the cause of your problems, but it's a lot easier than pulling the heads.

OP
OP
G

gslack

Loc.
Colorado Springs
yeah i am thinking on draining the oil soon anyways, come spring break i think i am going to take apart the en gine and get it bored and get everything sealed up, including the rear main seal cus its leaking oil and its starting to get annoying. i dont think it has to do with the intake manifold though because i just had a new edelbrock manifold put on about 4 months ago and it is sealed up pretty good. i mean i get perfect throttle response, i hear no vaccum leaks, etc etc. i am kind of confused. there is no jerking or anything, its strange.

OP
OP
G

gslack

Loc.
Colorado Springs
i am in rockrimmon lol, and there is a monthly breakfast? awesome. is there some sort of four wheelin club? cus thatd be nice, i love the outdoors and i need stuff to occupy my free time when im not doing school stuff.

mavereq

Bronco Guru
thinking about draining the oil soon? i hope you aren't continuing to drive it around with water in the oil. water doesn't make for a good lubricant.

if your intake manifold is leaking between one of the water jackets and the lifter valley then water will run down into your oil pan.

OP
OP
G

gslack

Loc.
Colorado Springs
well i did just install the pcv on the air cleaner and thats where all the creamy stuff was, and it has been really wet recently so i am wondering what is goin on. any suggestions?

mavereq

Bronco Guru
the oil in your pan is creamy too or else it wouldn't be on your dipstick. your oil is contaminated.

your pcv shouldn't be spewing oil into your aire cleaner either. i like to use catch cans for that reason. something isn't right. if you keep driving it you're going to cost yourself more money in the long run.

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
He is trying to tell you. You need to pull it apart and find out why water is getting in the oil. This is the cause for your PCV issues and oil contamination. Something is majorly wrong. You WILL ruin the motor very quickly with water in the oil. Also, Ford did not make a 302 Windsor. It is either a 302 or a 351W. You might want a shop to do it for you.

Last edited:

akafrankcastle

Loc.
Kansas City
Yes, we have a monthly breakfast. I see you've already signed up over at Colorado Classic Broncos. You'll find info out about that in the Staging Area thread. This month will be the Golden Corral in Thornton, off of Grant street. Subject to change right now due to a possible fund raising opportunity. Keep your eyes on the Staging Area for updates.

I'm just down the road from you, near Garden of the Gods and Centennial. I shot you a PM with my contact information in it. Give me a call later today and we'll talk about your problem a bit more, and I will try and stop by.

That milky oil is not just sitting at the PCV. It is likely in the pan as well, which is why I suggested loosening that drain plug just a little to see if you get coolant seeping through.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Anyhow though, I just recently got an aftermarket Edelbrock air cleaner and i punched the hole in the thing and installed the pcv valve and what not, ?

Say what???? You need to back up a bit and tell us what you really did here. The PCV valve has doodly to do with any air cleaner..the PCV valve is installed in a valve cover and its vacuum source is directly from the intake manifold under the carb (or sometimes from the 3/8" nipple ON the carb base for the PCV source, if its aftermarket like a Holley or Edelbrock)

The only thing that ever gets routed to the air cleaner is the vent line that sometimes goes from the valve cover opposite the one with the PCV valve in it. That is totally optional and not necessary of you have a vented oil fill cap with filter mesh in it.

barronj

Bronco Guru
Say what???? You need to back up a bit and tell us what you really did here. The PCV valve has doodly to do with any air cleaner..the PCV valve is installed in a valve cover and its vacuum source is directly from the intake manifold under the carb (or sometimes from the 3/8" nipple ON the carb base for the PCV source, if its aftermarket like a Holley or Edelbrock)

The only thing that ever gets routed to the air cleaner is the vent line that sometimes goes from the valve cover opposite the one with the PCV valve in it. That is totally optional and not necessary of you have a vented oil fill cap with filter mesh in it.

I interpreted that he plumbed the base of his air cleaner for the valve cover-to-air cleaner return. Being part of the PCV loop, I can see where he's getting the idea that it's pcv, but if he's installed the PCV valve in the air cleaner, well, that's another story;D

Worst case scenario, OP, the noise you're hearing is directly related to your wiped bearings, and a fresh short block is in your future. Good luck.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I, but if he's installed the PCV valve in the air cleaner, well, that's another story;.

umm..he went on to state this:

I take the air cleaner apart and the weird creamy shit is all up around where the pcv is stuck into the air cleaner

?:?

RG75Bronco

Loc.
Jacksonville
Houston he has major problems. Maybe he has stated, but what does the exhaust look like when the engine is running? "my engine makes this weird noise like a slinky almost but only at 2400 rpm." Piston rings?

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
LOOK AT YOUR OIL FIRST!!!!

It is possible to have the emulsion on the dipstick and it not be from the oil in the pan. The PVC system drawing moisture laden air down the dipstick and that cold moisture mixes with oil and forms up a creamy emulsion on the dipstick.

Darin you oil and if it is clean don't give it a second thought. I ran a 351W in and 87 Bronco for 10 years under that condition. I could disconnect the PCV system and the problem emulsion would go away. Only happend fall throug spring too.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
LOOK AT YOUR OIL FIRST!!!!

It is possible to have the emulsion on the dipstick and it not be from the oil in the pan. The PVC system drawing moisture laden air down the dipstick and that cold moisture mixes with oil and forms up a creamy emulsion on the dipstick.

Darin you oil and if it is clean don't give it a second thought. I ran a 351W in and 87 Bronco for 10 years under that condition. I could disconnect the PCV system and the problem emulsion would go away. Only happend fall throug spring too.

00 speak with heap big medicine. I've cleaned plenty of "babychit" out of the valve covers and top ends of engine that was simeply due to very limited, no highway, short operating time in very humid environment.. You need to a) drain and inspect the oil in the pan and b) further explain to us what appears at this glance and by your own description to be a total effed lash-up as far your PCV system.

Quick & Dirty

I'll pile on with the thought it could just be condensation if the engine isn't run hot enough, and the oil in the pan looks good. Combustion blow-by has a lot of water in it. It condenses in the valve covers, dipstick tube, and breather if the sheet metal is cold.

If it's getting in the air cleaner the engine has excess blow-by (bad rings), or the PCV system is plugged, has a stuck valve or isn't plumbed correctly.

Last edited: