• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Do you have to prime lifters before installing?

hollowch

Loc.
Midland, TX
Brand new lifters going in my rebuilt 302... the rebuild book says to prime the lifters with a squirt can pumping oil into the side hole... BUT... I had already planned on priming the whole oil system before I start it by using an extension and cordless drill to spin up the oil pump.

If I do that, would it be okay to just install the lifters empty?

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Prime 'em first.

Submerge them in a clean coffee can full of the same oil you are breaking in the engine with.

As they sit in the oil in the can, compress/pump them with a pushrod just like the engine would if it was running.

Do each lifter at least 6 pumps to work the air out.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
you'll be fine just installing them and then priming. Heck I've done less than that on many engines with no issues.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
at least oil them up before installing. also use cam break-in (moly) lube on the face of the lifters.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Have to: no
Is it a good idea, I think so. I do it.
Break in lube on the face is a must.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
priming the whole system with the drill is how I do it as well, although I also make sure to squirt some oil into the lifter to make sure it's lubed.

OP
OP
hollowch

hollowch

Loc.
Midland, TX
I've always just put them in a cutoff oil jug and poured some oil on them. Let them soak while I get all my $hit together :D

I tried to soak one in a oil can but I think the viscosity of the oil was too thick to penetrate the holes without some type of pressure behind it

asinor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tulsa, OK
I tried to soak one in a oil can but I think the viscosity of the oil was too thick to penetrate the holes without some type of pressure behind it

Thats why you use a pushrod to pump the lifter while its submerged. It will get harder to compress like a brake pedal when bleeding your brakes once it is primed.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I never prime them before putting them in. If you do you won't be able to set the valve lash until the motor is running and then you run the risk of bending a push rod.

broncosam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Comp Cams tech info says the very same thing that the Crane Cams tech stated.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Yeah, I read that too... time to change! I used to build a lot of engines and never had any trouble doing it "old skool" , but I'll change now. I double checked an engine building manual I've got and it says to prime them before installation!

Thanks for the link.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The funny part is they talk about adjusting the valvetrain. For the most part the stock valvetrain is non-adjustable. Just bolt the rockers on and it is done. And yes, they will bleed down. I am used to bolting the rockers down, watch the valves crack open a little. Come back a little later and the valve is closed. You can spin the pushrod with your fingers after it bleeds down.