• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4x4x2 bleeding help

snipi

Loc.
Mesa
ive been trying to bleed my new power steering system all night, and im having some troubles. i have the front end off the ground with the pitman arm disconected, my set up is a 4x4x2 box and a saginaw pump with dual returns( planning on hydroboost later). i have turned the wheel lock to lock with out the engine on for the last 45 mins, i believe i have all of the air out but when i turn the truck on to turn it lock to lock as soon as i touch the wheel it starts to spin violently and uncontrollably. not sure what the problem could be, im going to keep turning the wheel without the engine on but im not sure it that will help. thanks for any help guys.

gd71eb

leave the pitman diconected and turn the motor on. (if you have a helper put them behind the wheel)
constantly watch fluid level.
turn the wheel to lock and hold for 2 - 3 seconds then turn to full opposite lock and hold for the 2 - 3 seconds. repeat this 20 or so times each side.

you may just have to manhandle the wheel for the first couple turns. not sure what that is all about.

this is how i was told and bled mine

OP
OP
S

snipi

Loc.
Mesa
tried to man handle the wheel earlier but it yanked out of my hands. i might give it another try tomorow with a helper.

gritz

Do you have the pressure hose in the right place? Sounds like it is fighting itself.

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
There are little balls that are around the worm gear, they are called check balls. Did you take them out at any time?

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
You have the lines backwards. The pressure line is towards the radiator and return towards the driver. HERE is a thread with your same problem. I just went thru this also.

OP
OP
S

snipi

Loc.
Mesa
thank you very much guys im going to the parts store to get some things to fix this right now.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
x3, I just worked on a guy's Bronco who had custom lines built for the 4x4x2 and for some reason he thought the smaller port was the return.

OP
OP
S

snipi

Loc.
Mesa
i cant say how nice it is to have this problem figured out and the wealth of knowledge on this board thank you very much everyone, the power steering is done and works like a dream, all i have to get used to now is the faster turning radious, and im gonna have to start goin to the gym to get the workout my arms used to get.