• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hardtop removal

brewdude

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Groveland, CA
[quote author=Josh link=board=5;threadid=9482;start=0#68532 date=1033076844]<br>i once got the top off by myself. after unbolting it, i put my ATV ramps that hook on the tailgate on the back. climbed inside the bronco, put my back against the top and stood up. then i just walked it off the back and down the ramps.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Been there done that, but putting it back on by yourself is the hard part.

SpaceRanger

I’m sure this is elementary, but I want to make sure I do it right. Seems like a remember someone discussing hardtop removal on an early bronco, but I can’t seem to find it. Please help. The weather is beautiful and the top has got to come off.

HILLBILLYNA68

Loc.
GRAY, TN.
UNBOLT THE TOP, EACH SIDE AND ACROSS THE TOP OF THE WINDSHIELD. IF YOU HAVE A HEAD LINER REMOVE THE VISORS THEN REMOVE THE FRONT PART OF THE LINER TO ACCESS THE WINDSHIELD FRAM BOLTS. SINCE THE TOP WEAKENS AFTER UNBOLTING IT, I TOOK 2 2X4'S STUCK THEM UNDER THE TOP CROSSWAYS RAN A COUPLE LAG BOLTS IN EACH BOARD. THIS KEEPS THE TOP FROM SPREADING WHILE YOU AND A BUD LIFT IT OFF. ME AND DAD LIFTED IT WITH NO PROBLEM. SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS GUYS, IM IN A HURRY(WORK) ;) HAVE FUN ;D

broncobsession

Bronco Guru
Exactly what he said. I'm also trying to rig a pulley system in the garage where I can back in the Bronco and lower/raise the top in just a few minutes.

greasergrrl

Loc.
Redmond, WA
[quote author=broncobsession link=board=5;threadid=9482;start=0#67907 date=1032900740]<br>Exactly what he said. I'm also trying to rig a pulley system in the garage where I can back in the Bronco and lower/raise the top in just a few minutes.<br>[/quote]<br><br>When you get that going (and if anyone else has one) post photos so I can get ideas for mine.<br><br>Thanks

SpaceRanger

[quote author=broncobsession link=board=5;threadid=9482;start=0#67907 date=1032900740]<br>Exactly what he said. I'm also trying to rig a pulley system in the garage where I can back in the Bronco and lower/raise the top in just a few minutes.<br>[/quote]<br>Let me know how it goes, I would like to come up with something as well in my garage. www.bconnelly@doeanderson.com

OP
OP
B

brewdude

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Groveland, CA
Kind of on the same subject, a couple of years ago I saw something for a quick release system for taking off the top so you don't have to take the time to take out all of the bolts. Does anybody know where I can get a set?

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
I want to take mine back off, but Pomona is a ghetto so the top helps the Bronco remain MY Bronco. It's so damned hot here especially with all those stupid fires. Anyway all you need is about 4-6 guys (Over 6 feet tall on mine), a 1/2" wrench, a 3/8" wrench, and some other wrenches. But I mean why would you take the top off in Seattle? For those 25 days out of the year it's not raining? Sorry had to crack a Washington joke. But So. Cal is just so damned hot and I hate having to lock things. Whatever

Curly

Loc.
Round Rock, Texas
[quote author=broncobsession link=board=5;threadid=9482;start=0#67907 date=1032900740]<br>Exactly what he said. I'm also trying to rig a pulley system in the garage where I can back in the Bronco and lower/raise the top in just a few minutes.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Seems to be a popular idea...I'm working on that this fall as well.

6677ebman

Bronco Guru
I've got a friend who takes his off with a forklift!! Works pretty good!! (really)

Josh

Loc.
Pittsburgh, PA
i once got the top off by myself. after unbolting it, i put my ATV ramps that hook on the tailgate on the back. climbed inside the bronco, put my back against the top and stood up. then i just walked it off the back and down the ramps.

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
I've taken my top off AND on by myself....once. If I did it again I think I'd get a hernia. Not a smart move.<br><br>One thing that makes it much easier (other than 4 football player friends) is to run two 2x4's across the bed. Bolt them to the underside of the top through the existing bolt holes. Make sure the 2x4's are long enough to stick out about 2' on each side. It gives you a great place to lift the top, you don't get your fingers squished when setting in back on the bed rails, and it keeps the sides from spreading apart while lifting.