• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Was the Tailgate "FORD" Body Color or?

AFLtCol

Contributor
Bronco Guru
From the factory was the tailgate "FORD" always painted body color?

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
white, and applied over body color. On colors like White or tan body color it was a dark red. Non gloss both cases.

Attachments

• IMG_8459.jpg
    IMG_8459.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 117

broncojack

Contributor
I been told that they were painted with a roller brush. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• 1121151110a.jpg
    1121151110a.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 176
  • 1121151110b.jpg
    1121151110b.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 158
  • 1121151110c.jpg
    1121151110c.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 165

mtp71174

I was told by my friend who's job was to "deck" the body tub onto the assembled chassis that the last job in the trim dept was to remove the skid bolts, and then take a roller and paint the letters. He would then place a cradle around the tub hoist it up and send it to my friend to deck it. Sorry House he never said which direction of the stroke. lol Hope to see him this holiday and will ask.

broncojack

Contributor
I was told by my friend who's job was to "deck" the body tub onto the assembled chassis that the last job in the trim dept was to remove the skid bolts, and then take a roller and paint the letters. He would then place a cradle around the tub hoist it up and send it to my friend to deck it. Sorry House he never said which direction of the stroke. lol Hope to see him this holiday and will ask.

Great story, do you know how much of the Bronco body was assembled before it went into the chassis?

Okbroncoman

So, would a 1966 springtime yellow body color have white letters?

Would the tailgate and the grill letters be the same color?

Or would the grill have black letters?

Last edited:

eaglenest66

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So, would a 1966 springtime yellow body color have white letters?

Would the tailgate and the grill letters be the same color?

Or would the grill have black letters?

I always thought Springtime had red letters to match red rocker stripes (option) but no. In all my inquiries over the years, originally painted Springtime broncos yielded white letters painted over the body color. As for the grill letters, always black unless the broncos had the drill through and mounted sport letters. Few pictures of original paint rigs! And yes the tailgate and grill letters were done with a roller. The tailgate letters are flat sheen in appearance and the grill letters are glossy black.

Attachments

• Picture 083.jpg
    Picture 083.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 169
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    181 KB · Views: 182
  • image6.jpeg
    image6.jpeg
    79.1 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_1649.jpg
    IMG_1649.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_3635.jpg
    IMG_3635.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 169

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Interesting. Maybe you haven't found an original paint red letter gate, yet? I've found a lot of things and still finding out more. I think I've seen a red letter springtime 66, but will have to dig thru pics if I have them. My Tampico is white letter.

All the original paint rigs I've seen have had vertical rolled letters. About 15 original paint.

eaglenest66

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Went through my photo library and only one more original paint rig in Springtime Yellow. Mike French's '66 roadster!

Attachments

• IMG_0030.jpg
    IMG_0030.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 157

mtp71174

The bodies were mostly complete I believe once decked the seats were usually installed on the final line. The battery, radiator and shroud were installed then the front clip, both fenders and grille were decked. The hood was next, then the fluids then it was started and driven off the line. The aux fuel tank was installed out in the garage because the decking clam shell need that room to clam around the body. I would need to talk a small paint inspector to find out how the grille letters were painted them.

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The grille letters were rolled also. The roller was not a traditional roller we think of with a fiber nap of sorts, but it was a rubber roller that was used extensively in the printing industry called a brayer.

On this '66 you can see where the brayer touched the area around the letters a little too.

Attachments

• 1966 U13 1.0.jpg
    1966 U13 1.0.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 207

Okbroncoman

eaglenest66 Went through my photo library and only one more original paint rig in Springtime Yellow. Mike French's '66 roadster!

Now that looks like white letters to me!!

So all the grill letters were black, just the tailgate
letters were different colors? Red, black or white

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Now that looks like white letters to me!!

So all the grill letters were black, just the tailgate
letters were different colors? Red, black or white

That's right. Originally all the painted grille letters were black. The tailgates were the red, black and most of the time, white.