• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EFI Fuel Question

nashville77

i've got an 89 GT 5.0, Ryans harness, BC Broncos tank, E2000 pump with a small (see thru) inline filter before the pump and a Mustang filter after the pump, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, pressure gage. Turn the key and the pump runs as it should for a few seconds. I jumped to ground (as instructed on Ryans harness instructions) and let the pump run for at least 60 seconds but nothing. no gas in the pre-pump filter and no pressure reading on the gage.
Questons:

how long should i run the pump?
how much gas should be in the tank?
am i missing a step?

COBlu77

Loc.
Arvada, CO
It's not priming for some reason. Try blowing into the vent line while the pump is running. Seems stupid but it works. Something about applying negative pressure to get it to prime.

ponch0v

Is the fuel line connection on the BCB tank on the top?
If it is you probably need a low pressure lifter pump. The hi pressure pump push but dont pull so well. In my Ranger I had the small piece of rubber tubing go bad that connected the in-tank pump to the fuel line. The hi pressure pump could not raise the fuel out of the top of the tank.

mkmcroberts

check wiring connections sounds like you have the positive and negetive on pump backwards

OP
OP
nashville77

nashville77

COBlu77 said:
It's not priming for some reason. Try blowing into the vent line while the pump is running. Seems stupid but it works. Something about applying negative pressure to get it to prime.
would you do this with a compressor?

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
mkmcroberts said:
check wiring connections sounds like you have the positive and negetive on pump backwards

Second that. That little error has come numerous times on this board over the years. Check the easy stuff first. The pump will run just as well backwards as it does forwards.

OP
OP
nashville77

nashville77

mkmcroberts said:
will do, although i thought i was pretty careful about this when i wired it up.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I had mine refuse to prime once when I was on the side of the road (misread the gas guage ;) ). I took the gas cap off and blew as hard as I could into the filler hose to put a little pressure into the tank and it picked the fuel right up.

OP
OP
nashville77

nashville77

SaddleUp said:
I had mine refuse to prime once when I was on the side of the road (misread the gas guage ;) ). I took the gas cap off and blew as hard as I could into the filler hose to put a little pressure into the tank and it picked the fuel right up.

bet that made an interesting sight. you on the side of the road blowing into your tank. i have a 77 with the recessed filler opening. i'll need to come up with something to accomplish this. any ideas?

OP
OP
nashville77

nashville77

another question, on the tank there are 3 inlets/outlets. 1 in, 1 out and 1 vent. i don't think it matters which one you use for what? i have the vent blocked off. i am assuming this is ok?

bsaunder

Bronco Guru
nashville77 said:
another question, on the tank there are 3 inlets/outlets. 1 in, 1 out and 1 vent. i don't think it matters which one you use for what? i have the vent blocked off. i am assuming this is ok?

If you have a fully vented gas cap (some are only vented to prevent pressure buildup and not let air in), then yes, otherwise no - the tank has to breath or you'll never get gas out of it.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
nashville77 said:
Be sure you use the correct one for the pickup since the others do not go to the bottom of the tank.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
nashville77 said:
bet that made an interesting sight. you on the side of the road blowing into your tank. i have a 77 with the recessed filler opening. i'll need to come up with something to accomplish this. any ideas?
It was even more interesting when the cop pulled up and wanted me to push it further off to the side. (Which would have required either pushing it up on the curb or 40 ft. down the side and up into a driveway) I told her to go ahead if she thought she was strong enough. (I was actually out of the way already) She left and I saw her a couple minute later with another car pulled over. (That actually was blocking traffic)

OP
OP
nashville77

nashville77

SaddleUp said:
Be sure you use the correct one for the pickup since the others do not go to the bottom of the tank.
when i asked Chuck which was which (since there was nothing in the instructions about it) he indicated it didn't matter. do you know otherwise?

OP
OP
nashville77

nashville77

ok, my bad. i just spoke to chuck and i now stand corrected. it does matter which inlet you use (3/8 is gas out) and I'm pretty sure i'm hooked up wrong, and i need open to the vent.

OP
OP
nashville77

nashville77

got gas now. new question. i have an adjustable fuel regulator and pressure gauge on the return line where the pressure release valve was. i am assuming the regulator comes from the factory preset. i can't find my instructions. so i've run the fuel pump, i see gas in the filter. i guess i was expecting to see the gauge respond but it's not moving. i tried turning the engine over but no good. i'm not sure i'm getting spark and i'm not sure i'm getting gas. guess i still have some checking to do.

COBlu77

Loc.
Arvada, CO
nashville77 said:
would you do this with a compressor?

No, just disconnect your vent hose wherever you have it routed to and blow into it with your mouth. Mine is handy under the hood connected to the charcoal canister. Saddle-up's idea does the same thing. When I had my HP pump under the passenger seat (no LP pump) it had issues priming occasionally.

OP
OP
nashville77

nashville77

COBlu77 said:
No, just disconnect your vent hose wherever you have it routed to and blow into it with your mouth. Mine is handy under the hood connected to the charcoal canister. Saddle-up's idea does the same thing. When I had my HP pump under the passenger seat (no LP pump) it had issues priming occasionally.

thanks, that's exactly what i did to get it primed. guess i need to find a charcoal cannister for my vent hose now.

OP
OP
nashville77

nashville77

well i've got gas sort of. i ran the pump for a while but could never get a reading on the pressure gauge. so i started checking the fuel line from the output side of the filter after the pump all the way to the front by loosing up the hose clamps and i got gas spitting out each place i checked. sort of dangerous, but what else could i do. i then carefully removed the pressure gauge to see if i was getting anything on the return side. nothing. so i replaced the gauge with the original valve just in case there was air in the line. i started the pump and depress the valve and nothing. hell, i'm stumped.

OP
OP
nashville77

nashville77

ok, who was tempted to ask if i had the hose on right? yes, i'm a moron. at the engine i had the hoses on the wrong lines (switched). my baby is running now, and oh she sounds gooooood. i am having another issue but that will be for another post.