• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

To EGR plate or not to EGR plate?

tj

Loc.
Elkhorn, CA
PROJECT: converting a 1970 302 to 1993 Mustang EFI

PROBLEM: Where to connect manifold throttle linkage bracket?

I'm rounding the far corner of my EFI conversion project. Wiring is mostly complete and I'm ready to connect the throttle ...

I had decided not to use a EGR device and bolted the throttle body directly to the intake manifold. I just noticed that the manifold throttle linkage bracket mounts to a tab on the EGR assy which I left off.

So what do people usually do when they don't use the EGR, just block off the hole in the side of the plate and leave the EGR plate between the throttle boddy and upper intake manifold? Drill and tap an "L" bracket to the side of the upper manifold to attach the bracket or??

Is there any advantage to leaving the EGR plate in place besides the bracket mounting point? Would a longer passage at this point help shift power to lower RPM (Close to Bronco content)? Or is it too early yet for a longer passage to matter?

I was thinking that eliminating the EGR plate would eliminate that hole in the side which seems to me like it would add flow turbulance. It would also reduce apparent complexity.

So what have others done who don't use EGR???????

Thanks,

TJ

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
I am running a cobra intake wich has the provision for the egr built in but i capped it with a alumminum plate.
If you want to eliminate the egr housing on a stock intake try a plate out of flat stock of alum. (around 1/4".) you will have to machine a large hole in the middle to match intake port and leave a flange off the side to mount the cable brackets to. If this is to complex for your abilities try looking at BC broncos throttle cable it mounts on to the throttle body bolts.