• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gear selector linkage part

NC-Fordguy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bethel/Greenville NC
Guys...

74 model with c-4 with the stock column selector.

Somewhere along the line the bolt/bearings/nut?thatconnects the linkage rod to the tranny gear lever fell out. I don't recall exactely what was in there to begin with.

A regular nut and bolt will not work as if it is too tight you can't physical move the column lever and if it is loosened so the lever can pivot eventually the linkage rod will slide down to far and getting back into park and sometimes reverse is impossible. I'm re-adjusting this thing every couple of days.

Anyone know where to obtain this part? I looked on some of the vendors pages and couldn't find anything and the local ford dealer even though had a good diagram on micro film no longer stocks this part.

Seems to me there should be some type of bearing in this assembly that will allow the linkage to be tightened but allow the lever to pivot.

Ed

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
stock had a stud that was threaded on linkage side for a nut and the other side was slotted for a E-clip. You could look at wrecking yards. Or try running a bolt through the lever then placing a nut on loose then go through the linkage and then place a lock washer and another nut. then tighten the two nuts against each other leaving a small space between the bolt head and first nut to allow movement at the lever.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
I know what you're talking about.

I used a couple of grade 8 bolts with nylocs to make an extension out of flat stock for mine when I added a body lift.

I don't have a pic of it here, and my rig's out at the farm sitting in the barn and keeping the donkeys company. It'll be next weekend before I'm out there again.

IIRC, the stock bolt was a bit like a carraige bolt, with square shoulder and a nut on the outside so that it could slip a tad in that linkage. I'd suspect you could get something operable by using a carraige bolt with a nylon washer and a nyloc nut to keep anything from rubbing unnecessarily.