• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

mass air meter suggestions needed...

slcpunk

Loc.
The WB, UTAH
I am gathering parts for my 5.8 mass air conversion project. I have a 95 5.8 from a bronco and I plan on doing something like this to it...

9.0-9.5 c/r
performer rpm heads
performer rpm manifold
a cam something like (F303) 226 dur @.050 and .512 lift
or (b303) 224 dur @ .050 and .480 lift
roller rockers
and other small things I cannot remember at this time.

My question is what mass air meter should I get(size)?
what size injectors?
what computer(I plan on running a 4r70w auto)?

thanks in advance guys/girls

crawln68

Bronco Guru
Sounds like that's going to be a nice engine set up for your Bronco. I would think that you would be fine with some 24 lb. injectors. Maybe 30's, but I wouldn't go any larger than that. A 70mm throttle body and a 75mm MAF ought to do you just fine.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
24 lb injectors should be good. A good thing about them is you can get a replacment anytime by ordering one for a 460 ford truck motor.

I have tried it both ways to control the auto. The Baumanator www.becontrols.com is the way to go. So much more flexibility in tuning. As this isn't a stock motor, don't expect a stock transmission tune to be right.

Whatever computer you get must be part of a package. MAF, ECM and injector size must all match. 2 out of 3 ain't going to do it. ECMs can get a chip by most dyno shops these days to make the parts match. As they are the ones tuning it, it is often best to ask there advise on what they like to tune. If they can't tune an XYZ meter worth a crap and they tell you that, you better not show up with an XYZ meter.

OP
OP
slcpunk

slcpunk

Loc.
The WB, UTAH
so should I just go to the parts store and buy 460 injectors or would it be less expensive to get aftermarket?

What are good sources to find those parts?

Anyone know about how much horsepower I should expect?

Thanks again guys

COBlu77

Loc.
Arvada, CO
I'm currently running stock Mustang MAF, Throttle Body, 19 lb injectors and an A9P ECM on a stock 5.8. It runs well because everything matches, but it's barely enough for my stock 5.8 and I know it could be better. I've been researching moving up to 24lb injectors and it's not purely plug and play. My suggestion is to use OEM 94-95 Mustang GT MAF and throttle body, 24lb injectors, and A9P ECM. You will then have to have a dyno shop custom burn a chip for your ECM to deal with the bigger engine and components, but you'll be using OEM stuff, so it should be doable. It's the ECM that has the programming for your injectors. The ECM can be tricked by using a special MAF, but the ultimate solution is getting a custom program. As far as your cam, read this thread. http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6867 It may change your mind.

You could go with 93 Cobra-R MAF, throttle body and ECM (ZA0), but I've heard that the ECM's are hard to find and are designed to run at higher rpm's and have alot more emmissions stuff programmed in. Most of the guys at www.corral.net that have swapped in 5.8 engines say to use a re-programmed A9P or A9L ECM. Another choice is to use a Lightning MAF, either 80mm or 90mm with a 65mm or 70mm throttle body. Anyway you go the ECM will need to be re-programmed, but the closer you stay to some OEM set-up the more likely you be to get a program that works well.

Since you're spending all that money on your engine, I say do it right and get a custom chip made by a dyno shop that specializes in Mustangs.

Past_Miner

Bronco Guru
I have to agree on the 24 lb injectors. My 351W with the mustang conversion runs well with the 19 lb injectors in most circumstances but it seem sluggish in the top end.

I wasn't aware that the EEC needed reprogrammed. I thought that the A9L had enough range to compensate for the 351 displacement without a custom tune. I have been told that the MAF and injectors just need to be matched. Theoretically, the EEC will adjust the injectors to maintain the optimum air/fuel ratio under all conditions except wide open throttle. Under WOT the EEC should just pour the fuel to it. That is when the bigger capacity injectors would be of benefit. That happens to be when I feel like the motor is starving for fuel.

Having said all of that I am sure that a custom tune would make it run much better. So I guess the question is does anyone know of a good shop with tuning capabilities in Salt Lake?