• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

proverbial barn find update

grizzmandan

I crawled over this truck for three hours today, had it on the lift, lots of good pics (see photo gallery) I posted all the would let me here. The truck seems legit but some work has been done to it. The current, 2nd owner, thought it would be wise to Krylon the engine and underside.
The interior is immaculate, very very very little rust, the only spot I found was the drivers side floor pan (minimal). The lack of engine stickers baffles me as the engine appears to be original. I cannot see that it has ever been out, and if it was, it was professionally done, but still does not explain the lack of stickers.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
How can you tell an engine is original? The '67 I bought from the original owner had a new crate 289 installed in 1992. If he hadn't told me that I never would have guessed it wasn't the original engine.

OP
OP
G

grizzmandan

1strodeo

wouldnt the engine have the engine spec sticker on the valve covers, air cleaner maint, etc. if it was the original engine?

OP
OP
G

grizzmandan

original engine

How can you tell an engine is original? The '67 I bought from the original owner had a new crate 289 installed in 1992. If he hadn't told me that I never would have guessed it wasn't the original engine.

I agree with you to some extent, but sometimes a man can tell, depending on the circumstances. Often when a major component is removed it never goes back in exactly the same ie. wiring, brackets, fastening hardware.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
1strodeo

wouldnt the engine have the engine spec sticker on the valve covers, air cleaner maint, etc. if it was the original engine?

Not necessarily. I don't think the specs on the valve covers appeared until later - someone else with more knowledge can chime in. I know for sure they're on '77s. Maybe a few years earlier as well? Truck looks good!

Todd Z.

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
1strodeo

from the looks of that engine I would expect there to be stickers, yes, but that engine has been painted. there's overspray on the exhaust manifold, fuel pump, vacuum lines etc

so to my other question are you looking to buy or help sell? looks like a good find, but having changed hands in such a short period...I dunno maybe sketchy, maybe not :cool:

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
and appears to have been painted where it sits (no paint on sides of block, only front of heads are painted)

Attachments

• barnFindEngine.jpg
    barnFindEngine.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 226

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
The engine definitely has an aerosol overhaul. They even got the oil pressure sensor wire and part of the accelerator pump linkage on the carb!

Todd Z.

OP
OP
G

grizzmandan

krylon overhaul

and appears to have been painted where it sits (no paint on sides of block, only front of heads are painted)

The current (2nd owner) did the spray work, even sprayed the underside and painted the shocks. That was before he knew what he had and some one wisely informed him to cease and desist. He admits to his mistake.
My roll is simply to help the current owner, they are an elderly couple, computer challenged. I have no other roll in this and have not and do not expect any monetary gain what so ever.

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Well let us know when it is for sale. Would like to see the underside pictures. The raddle can job particularly on engine and underside if it was super clean cost them thousands.

OP
OP
G

grizzmandan

72 barn find

Well let us know when it is for sale. Would like to see the underside pictures. The raddle can job particularly on engine and underside if it was super clean cost them thousands.

the truck is currently for sale. If anyone is seriously interested, I can put them in contact with the owner. As I already stated, I am just helping them out.

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
The current (2nd owner) did the spray work, even sprayed the underside and painted the shocks. That was before he knew what he had and some one wisely informed him to cease and desist. He admits to his mistake.
My roll is simply to help the current owner, they are an elderly couple, computer challenged. I have no other roll in this and have not and do not expect any monetary gain what so ever.

ahhh yes I forgot you had mentioned the Krylon job, interior looks amazing like you said, even the floor mat looks great (new ones are not available) tailgate looks good, need more exterior pics.

Did you mention where the original owner had lived?

Beer and Fish

Bronco Guru
I do not believe this is a 3000 mile Bronco by any means. If it is indeed a 3000 mile Bronco then it was a rough rough 3000 miles