• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

consecutive VIN numbers

T-Bird

Loc.
East TN
Does anyone own 2 broncos with consecutive VIN numbers?
The 66 roadster I just bought and the 66 half cab I own do. Both have Atlanta DSO and both were bought in Atlanta area, both had 4.57 rears

Attachments

• IMG_5913 (1).jpg
    IMG_5913 (1).jpg
    74 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_3515.jpg
    IMG_3515.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 64

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
I had to go back and look at the vin from the u14 I sold as it was a 751 also. U14fl751479, close lol. It was a Des Moines dso, had 4.57 gears also.

OP
OP
T-Bird

T-Bird

Loc.
East TN
I had to go back and look at the vin from the u14 I sold as it was a 751 also. U14fl751479, close lol. It was a Des Moines dso, had 4.57 gears also.

that wasn't the one you brought to SC was it? I remember we had VINs real close. I have always looked at other early 66 models trying to find the closest to mine...who wouda thunk :p

I might have the record for the earliest consecutive Vins. ;D

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
W :eek: W .... never seen any EBs w. consecutive numbers !!!

was told one the assembly line its something they didn't fancy and didn't do ! the always had min 2 truck in-between each bronco ....bronco took longer to assemble !

wondering now if one was last day shift and the other next day first !?!!?

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
that wasn't the one you brought to SC was it? I remember we had VINs real close. I have always looked at other early 66 models trying to find the closest to mine...who wouda thunk :p

No that one I brought to super celebration was u14fl748

OP
OP
T-Bird

T-Bird

Loc.
East TN

was told one the assembly line its something they didn't fancy and didn't do ! the always had min 2 truck in-between each bronco ....bronco took longer to assemble !

Just think if 147 or 150 was a wagon, and I could get it... that would be like winning the trifecta!

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac

My 66 Roadster is 754990, I know where 754992 is and it is also a Roadster. 754989 and 754991 are also Roadsters that still exist, I've seen pics of them but don't know where they are.

My 67 Military is 06005, 06002 and 06007 are also Military Broncos.

There was an article in Bronco Driver years ago that talked about two Brothers ordering Broncos new and they had consecutive VINs.

T-Bird, looks like you were meant to own that Roadster! Too cool!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
No doubt.. .makes you wonder..

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL

He's got too many now to keep track of :D

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
My 66 Roadster is 754990, I know where 754992 is and it is also a Roadster. 754989 and 754991 are also Roadsters that still exist, I've seen pics of them but don't know where they are.

My 67 Military is 06005, 06002 and 06007 are also Military Broncos.

There was an article in Bronco Driver years ago that talked about two Brothers ordering Broncos new and they had consecutive VINs.

T-Bird, looks like you were meant to own that Roadster! Too cool!

OK .... learned something new again .... It must be another 66 thing !

I know def. btw 1970 - 77 that didn't happen ... next time I see my buddy who worked all his life on the truck/ bronco assembly, I ask again !

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
OK .... learned something new again .... It must be another 66 thing !

I know def. btw 1970 - 77 that didn't happen ... next time I see my buddy who worked all his life on the truck/ bronco assembly, I ask again !

My understanding is that Ford vehicles did not necessarily go down the line in order by vin. Ford assigned a “Rotation Number” to each vehicle. These were 4 digit numbers located in the top left corner of the build sheet. This was a sequential number assigned when the production line was scheduled and allowed Ford to schedule vehicles based on production requirements.

It’s also the 4 digit number you see written with a crayon in many places such as firewalls or cowlings. It was used to identify the vehicle down the line and mark parts for them.
Some Mustang sites describe it in detail. I have seen the numbers on Bronco build sheets, and have seen the crayon markings on Broncos as well. My Chevy C10 was exactly the same....

So, as you mentioned, Broncos were not produced one after another, but they could still have consecutive vins. They just would not have consecutive “rotation numbers”.

Here’s an example from a 1968 Mustang production run...
http://www.thecoralsnake.com/6368

Last edited:

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
So, as you mentioned, Broncos were not produced one after another, but they could still have consecutive vins. They just would not have consecutive “rotation numbers”.

NO !!!

at most they made a year was 25.800 broncos ( 1974)

total possible vins issued to broncos that year ...over 240.000 .... realistic lil over 145.000 ! ( considering that bronco vins go each month about max 14000 numbers up )

Aug S60000 - S79999
Sept S80000 - S99999
Oct T00000 - T19999
Nov T20000 - T39999
Dec T40000 - T59999
Jan T60000 - T79999
Feb T80000 - T99999
Mar U00000 - U19999
Apr U20000 - U39999
May U40000 - U59999
Jun U60000 - U79999
Jul U80000 - U99999

they made prox. 2150 that year each month and some w. vin 12000 of that month ( like lets say Oct T00000 - T19999 ...Bronco Vin U15T12248 ! its def not the 12248 made that month ... they only made 2150 total !! ) ;D

hence my beef w. marti !! ;D :cool:

since they have all the info ...how hard can it be to sell me a full printout of all EB vins made in Sep 1970 !?!?!?

its only 1648 vin numbers !! lol

Last edited:

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Well mine is a 73 with 5616 as the last 4 of the vin.

So many of us here was wondering if anybody with a 73 was close to that number.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
NO !!!

at most they "only" made each year 25.800 broncos ( 1974)

total possible vins issued to broncos that year ...over 145.000 !

I remember that thread about Kevin Marti!

I think you missed my point. The rotation number has nothing to do with the number of vehicles produced. It’s simply a method of scheduling the production line independent of vin#s. The link I posted shows examples and Bronco build sheets use the same rotation number “ROT”

Here is the one Okie found at SC.....
72b4d85d0a094d13d33534ad0a1d2d52.jpg

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
No No I got your point about the rotation number .....

I didn't get it either until my buddy dexter explained it to me .....

rotation number for broncos was mostly based on the guy who painted and fully assembled the grills !! It took the longest time .... he would paint a bunch of grills the same color and assemble them .... based on what color was finished by him they held back and moved broncos up the production line ! that the paint and holding shop for the grills was clear across the plant and only one guy running all day to get one grill at the time to the line made it impossible to assemble 2 broncos in a row w,out stopping the production !!

that's how I got it explained !

OP
OP
T-Bird

T-Bird

Loc.
East TN
My understanding is that Ford vehicles did not necessarily go down the line in order by vin. Ford assigned a “Rotation Number” to each vehicle. These were 4 digit numbers located in the top left corner of the build sheet. This was a sequential number assigned when the production line was scheduled and allowed Ford to schedule vehicles based on production requirements.

It’s also the 4 digit number you see written with a crayon in many places such as firewalls or cowlings. It was used to identify the vehicle down the line and mark parts for them.

Here is the rotation number on the 66 Half Cab. When I get the Roadster delivered to the shop I will look to see if it still is visible. If its there that is going to shed more light on this.

Attachments

• IMG_2078.jpg
    IMG_2078.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 21

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
No No I got your point about the rotation number .....

I didn't get it either until my buddy dexter explained it to me .....

rotation number for broncos was mostly based on the guy who painted and fully assembled the grills !! It took the longest time .... he would paint a bunch of grills the same color and assemble them .... based on what color was finished by him they held back and moved broncos up the assembly line ! that the paint and holding shop for the grills was clear across the plant and only one guy running all day to get one grill at the time to the line made it impossible to assemble 2 broncos in a row w,out stopping the production !!

that's how I got it explained !

Yes. That’s how the rotation number was used. It simply defines the location of the vehicle on the daily production line.

My point is that vin numbers were assigned with no regard to production sequence so it is possible to have Broncos with consecutive vin numbers. The rotation number was used to work around the production issue you describe.

And I just saw BrocoJacks post above about rotation numbers! I guess I missed it......

Last edited: