• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

WhatÂ’s a title worth?

DonH

Loc.
WA State 30 miles from the beach
Why are they saying you need an inspection? Is it because you don't have a title?

In the last 4 years, my Dad and I have bought 4 cars from out of State, and none has needed any inspection. BUT, all the cars had titles.

My 67 was last driven in CA in 1979. It was given to a grandson in 1990 and brought to WA. I have lots of papers with matching VIN and a bill of sale.

mebco09

My 67 was last driven in CA in 1979. It was given to a grandson in 1990 and brought to WA. I have lots of papers with matching VIN and a bill of sale.

All I'm saying is that IF you have a valid title from any state, WA DMV doesn't require an inspection of any kind.

Also, them blaming COVID for everything is BS. They are still pulling people over for stupid things and writing tickets. Every time they do that, they are exposed to the public more than they would in an inspection.

patterdale

Bronco Guru
Just curious, has anyone ever actually seen someone from the DMV climb under a car and look at the frame?

Yup, some friends of mine ran a shop here in Bemidji. About once a month the state trooper/DOT guy would come and spend the day helping people find frame Vin numbers so they could get titles or determine if cars were stolen or crashed and rebuilt.

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There is a guy selling a rebuilt orange Bronco on Facebook. A 1977 with title and glovebox door but the frame is a 1966. He is asking 40k. If it had no stories it may still be high but possibly in line. With that kind of issue, how many would be will to buy this branded "story" car? Think about that.

DonH

Loc.
WA State 30 miles from the beach
There is a guy selling a rebuilt orange Bronco on Facebook. A 1977 with title and glovebox door but the frame is a 1966. He is asking 40k. If it had no stories it may still be high but possibly in line. With that kind of issue, how many would be will to buy this branded "story" car? Think about that.

In WA it would have to be 1966 on the title to make DMV happy.

Rebailey

OK, serious question here:

Here in WA state, all they want is your registration money and the taxes that go with it. Finding stolen cars is not something that the LEOs do here.

I will second that. Had a motorcycle stolen in WA state. Got a call from an impound yard since I was the titled owner. Within two hours the person presented a Washington State registration and recoverd the bike from the impound yard before I could get there. How does a reported stolen vehicle get a valid registration in the name of the person who stole it? Detective didn't have time to look into but would have someone call me back. WTF?

67RT

Bronco Guru
In MD they don't even look at the car. In the past 3 years I registered/titled a 83 Pininfarina (from DE) and a 92 VW (from Ohio) before I even had the cars in the state. Didn't even have to show them a picture of the vehicle.
I purchased mine on ebay from CA and shipped to MD... Titled as 72 and matched glove box.. However I checked the frame and frame was different. I got both Martis. Truck was orig paint and obvious frame Marti matched body. So to get it fixed MD DMV had to look at both VINS, run a report (stolen and recovered in late 70s in CA). In end had to go to court and certify paperwork then go back.. They issued a 1970 title and put a state VIN on it. Was PIA but done right.

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I purchased mine on ebay from CA and shipped to MD... Titled as 72 and matched glove box.. However I checked the frame and frame was different. I got both Martis. Truck was orig paint and obvious frame Marti matched body. So to get it fixed MD DMV had to look at both VINS, run a report (stolen and recovered in late 70s in CA). In end had to go to court and certify paperwork then go back.. They issued a 1970 title and put a state VIN on it. Was PIA but done right.

That sucks and now you have a car with a state issued VIN and devalued. There will be many lawsuits to come with the prices these are commanding when this happens more and more. There are too many people being nonchalant over this and thinking it is ok, not worrying about it it or just being dishonest. I hate when I see people selling titles as I know some innocent buyer that is not aware of the issue will end up with a situation like this.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
That sucks and now you have a car with a state issued VIN and devalued. There will be many lawsuits to come with the prices these are commanding when this happens more and more. There are too many people being nonchalant over this and thinking it is ok, not worrying about it it or just being dishonest. I hate when I see people selling titles as I know some innocent buyer that is not aware of the issue will end up with a situation like this.

That's no lie.. :(

Thaddeusrex

The three vehicles I've bought out of state and had shipped to CA needed to have a VIN inspection done. In order to do this, you either have to bring the vehicle to DMV for the inspection or have an authorized law enforcement officer or independent DMV consultant do the inspection and fill out the paperwork.

I've never taken an out of state vehicle to the DMV for inspection, but have had both law enforcement and an independent DMV consultant do the inspections. In all three cases, the would only do the paperwork after they verified the VINs on the frames. They would not use the glove box tag or the door jamb sticker. It had to be stamped on the frame of the vehicle.

Whether the CA DMV jackoffs would be that strict, I don't know, but as has been said, with varying degrees of inspections in different states, I wouldn't want to be caught with my pants down - as the buyer, seller, or owner.
I just had this done in Santa Clara CA. My ‘72 was from Texas, and only a one-owner-ago title, so not current. It isn’t drivable, so i couldn’t take it to DMV easily. I called CHP, and they said they don’t do onsite either. So I had an independent inspector that the CHP recommended come to my house. Super nice guy. Cost like $100. I cleaned up the frame VIN with a wire wheel for him, but he wanted nothing to do with that. All he wanted to see was the original sticker on the Driver B pillar, and he signed me off. I’m going to have the tub chemical dipped, so I’m going to carefully cut that sticker out first, sheet metal and all, and weld it back in after the dip.

Torkman66

Contributor
I’m late to task on this thread but offer my two cents. I’ve restored dozens of rides over past 40 years. With titles, without titles, titles but can’t find vin on frame, bonded titles, bill of sale only and maybe a few other odd ball ones. What has experience taught me? Wait to find one that has it all. Clear title, clear vin. I’m pretty sure that when some folks go to hell there gonna find out it’s eternity standing in a dmv line. Just not worth the “ yea but it’s a great deal” argument.

Lewko66u13

Contributor
Loc.
Canada
I didn’t know there was a VIN on the frame. Was it there on the early 66 I restored? If it was I sanded, primed and painted right over it. Where specifically would I find it? I understand now that the frame defines the vehicle. I would have to start with a new frame if I buy the rusty 68 I’m looking at. Here in MN nobody looks at the vehicle so I don’t think there is an issue with registration. But my main concern is the cost of the project. I put about 25k in the 66 U13 doing EVERYTHING myself. I could see that doubling on the rusty 68. At that point I’m hiring an attorney to represent me in the divorce proceedings. So I probably need to look for something better to work on.

stamped ontop of the right side frame rail just behind the shock tower and by the starter

big blue

Loc.
McDowell, Kentucky
I bought a 75 about 20 years ago and parted it out , still have the frame and was offered 1000 for it. The guy ran the vin and it was registered in Texas.
I had sold the dash complete with glove box door years before. The guy used my vin on a bronco. I talked to the state police and they said I
would have to start a stolen vehicle report as of now I haven't done anything.

SeaVee

Contributor
Man- I just took my 77 completely apart and never noticed the VIN. Now the frame is powdercoated. Was it in the same location on the 77’s?

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I bought a 75 about 20 years ago and parted it out , still have the frame and was offered 1000 for it. The guy ran the vin and it was registered in Texas.
I had sold the dash complete with glove box door years before. The guy used my vin on a bronco. I talked to the state police and they said I
would have to start a stolen vehicle report as of now I haven't done anything.
And THAT is just one of many reasons you only title/register a pre-80 truck with only the frame VIN..which is the only legal VIN. In my own case, I would have lost a 6.5 million lawsuit if my frame VIN didn't match my title and insurance information. Long story. I get sick and tired of the "well in my state" bullshit I see posted so often. Inspectors are lazy in every state including mine (MD) but when the shit hits the fan, its the FEDERAL law that will come in to play. that frame HAS to match the title and registration. The body and glovebox tags are meaningless...which is why its perfectly legal to purchase them new from Marti.

As I've noted previously, I have sold several titles. Those titles were for frames that I had personally cut in to dumpster-sized pieces and scrapped. (Of course nowadays I'd have held on to those frames too...but I digress. ;-))

MThalfcab

Contributor
Living the Poor Life
Loc.
Yaak, Montana
In Montana:
1) use the title for the donor frame. 2) Titled as a kit car, with VIN assigned by DMV.

Edit: in the case of #2 you could probably get away with using the body vin as long as you had the correct title to match the body. IF starting with no title, an assigned VIN will be necessary as they will check the frame for anything that is not already titled.
Seventee,

What part of Montana are you in, Kallispel or Bozeman? Montana doesn’t check nothing other than like what’s been said on here before, title and money! Mine was never looked at yet alone a picture, with the way things are ran in the government who knows what’s next,,

Torkman66

Contributor
The other consideration somewhat unique to Broncos is when it is clear you have a complete original Bronco and clean title but the darn vins on the frame are no longer visible . In many cases you can clean, derust, and wire wheel the vin location and find some numbers, but sometimes they are too far gone. So that is a dilemma. I passed on a 66 where I could not get the vin to appear after spending some time cleaning. Only got the “C” to appear and one of the stars. What do you do in a case like that? If like me your planning to spend tons of hours on a full restoration and likely near 60k invested by the time your done so you would hate to have that much time and money into it with any concern regarding vin.

CowboyGrin

Contributor
the circus looks like fun
Loc.
Oklahoma
Apparently this eBay seller thinks the answer to the OP’s question is $8,346.05 ($8,499.00 - $119.95 for value of glove box door - $33.00 Marti tag).

Hope somebody doesn’t get burned.

Attachments

• IMG_7130.jpeg
    IMG_7130.jpeg
    105.3 KB · Views: 24