• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1988 Tailgate Rewiring Problems

crawdad43

I did the improved tailgate rewire involving relays by Steve 83 and it works great right up until the end. I have the pig tails for the motor, the + and - wires, and a tool battery sitting on my tailgate. The + and - wires (for upward movement) have the correct grounding and voltage when the switch is pressed but when connected to the motor the wire loses all voltage and the motor does not move. When connected to the tool battery the window does move. I have no clue what is wrong.

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
I did the improved tailgate rewire involving relays by Steve 83 and it works great right up until the end. I have the pig tails for the motor, the + and - wires, and a tool battery sitting on my tailgate. The + and - wires (for upward movement) have the correct grounding and voltage when the switch is pressed but when connected to the motor the wire loses all voltage and the motor does not move. When connected to the tool battery the window does move. I have no clue what is wrong.
I had the same issue on my FSB. Turned out to be a bad connector at the motor junction. I could back the connection out a little bit and it would work fine.

Also, make sure the wires didn't break internally where they pivot (where they enter the tailgate).

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk