• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Spinning rear wheels

Southbronco1

Contributor
Hello friends, recently I was attempting to use the star wheel adjuster to get the rear brake shoes in close proximity to the drums, and as part of that I was trying to spin the rear wheels until feeling some drag as I understand the process to be. But the wheels would not spin, and wouldn’t actually turn unless under some force. I noticed the drive shaft was turning along with the wheels. The emergency brake has been released and the car is in neutral. Why is the drive shaft turning? I assumed that if the car was in neutral the rear tires would spin as freely as the front do. I am a very novice mechanic so this may be a very stupid question. Any thoughts are helpful. Thanks

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sounds like you have a limited slip, or maybe even a locking rear differential.
The only ones that are easy to turn by hand are standard open differentials.
In that case, you spin a wheel one way, and the opposite wheel spins freely in the opposite direction.
In those cases, the driveshaft usually does not turn.
When both wheels are turning in the same direction, the driveshaft has no choice, but to turn.

OP
OP
S

Southbronco1

Contributor
Sounds like you have a limited slip, or maybe even a locking rear differential.
The only ones that are easy to turn by hand are standard open differentials.
In that case, you spin a wheel one way, and the opposite wheel spins freely in the opposite direction.
In those cases, the driveshaft usually does not turn.
When both wheels are turning in the same direction, the driveshaft has no choice, but to turn.
Thank you. That’s helpful. I know it’s an original 9” rear but perhaps there was an LSD option. Well, my goal in spinning them was actually to make sure that I had the brake shoes adjusted out far enough to the drums but I guess I can just judge that by how easy or difficult it is to put the drums back on.

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Assuming there is not a lip on the outer edge of the drum from use or aging. If the drums are new or have recently been turned, then you might be close in judgement.

OP
OP
S

Southbronco1

Contributor
Assuming there is not a lip on the outer edge of the drum from use or aging. If the drums are new or have recently been turned, then you might be close in judgement.
Thanks, they do seem pretty smooth so thinking they were switched out at some point.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Even a limited slip will cause this problem. But a very old one that’s worn might not be so tight.
Yours sounds like it’s in pretty good shape. Did you confirm that the other wheel is spinning in the same direction?
Be nice if we could confirm, so you know that you’re not actually fighting tight brake drums already, or wheel bearings.

Maybe take the opposite wheel off temporarily? That way at least you’re not also fighting the weight of the other wheel while you’re turning the side.
Leverage in your favor for once.
I haven’t actually tried that but mention it, in case it can help even a little.