• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco rollover

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Wondering if the 1/2 cab is more sturdy than a full top. They usually don't end up so well without a cage

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
Wondering if the 1/2 cab is more sturdy than a full top. They usually don't end up so well without a cage
I would think since there’s less unsupported roof in the 1/2 cab it would probably be stronger, BUT my 1/2 cab is getting a full in-cab roll cage plus there will be a roll bar in the bed snuggled up close to it.

Randy

U13FL735

I landed upside down after about a 10 foot drop off the road in mine....it was a roadster with convertible top, and no rollbar. It must not have been my time because I was about unhurt. Remember laying in it, upside down and reaching up to turn off the ignition....the engine was still running!

Colo77Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
Colorado Springs
If you do national search on CoPart there are a few of these out there. All high end builds with Coyotes. Can't put that much power in a narrow, short based Bronco and expect anything different. That's why I am going full width and stretching the wheelbase a little.

BroncoLew

Loc.
Alabama
This reminding me I need to find a roll cage.

Does anyone here have experience with the roll cages offered by Toms that bolts to the kick panels? Link to product page

Wife is requiring me to get a family cage but I’d like to be able to keep my parking brake release in place.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
This reminding me I need to find a roll cage.

Does anyone here have experience with the roll cages offered by Toms that bolts to the kick panels? Link to product page

Wife is requiring me to get a family cage but I’d like to be able to keep my parking brake release in place.
You want the full cage. Especially if there's kids in the back. Thee e-brake is no big deal. You just redrill the hole in the dash and flex it over. Any reviews I've seen of the toms plate cage were good

BroncoLew

Loc.
Alabama
You want the full cage. Especially if there's kids in the back. Thee e-brake is no big deal. You just redrill the hole in the dash and flex it over. Any reviews I've seen of the toms plate cage were good
You mean like a full cage that bolts to the floor at all points?

scoutingranch

Early Broncos were dangerous the second they left the build line. Our joke about them is "unsafe at any speed." Drive them with that always on your mind.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
This is why I always felt the huge horsepower builds were just not right. They are a short wheel base high center of gravity vehicle. No need for 400 horsepower, these old truck got a lot going on. No traction control, ABS, or roll avoidance.

Now dont get me wrong I love a fast car or high horsepower engine but so many people jump from their Lexus to a bronco and well the results are often what we see above.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
You mean like a full cage that bolts to the floor at all points?
Yes a 6-point cage. Or there's the plate cage from Tom's. Other good ones to look at are protofab or bailiebuilt. There are also frame tie in kits for ultimate protection

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
This is why I always felt the huge horsepower builds were just not right. They are a short wheel base high center of gravity vehicle. No need for 400 horsepower, these old truck got a lot going on. No traction control, ABS, or roll avoidance.

Now dont get me wrong I love a fast car or high horsepower engine but so many people jump from their Lexus to a bronco and well the results are often what we see above.

i've only taken my bronco to 60-70mph a few times. it tracks great and straight but my butt is still puckered the entire time. with such a short wheel base and can't seem to completely chill at those speeds.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
For a cage bailie built always gets my vote. The design eliminates the need for frame tie ins, it takes advantage of the tub and tub supports to mitigate those risks, it is also impossible for the B pillar directly over your head to punch through the floor.

NJBronk

Contributor
For a cage bailie built always gets my vote. The design eliminates the need for frame tie ins, it takes advantage of the tub and tub supports to mitigate those risks, it is also impossible for the B pillar directly over your head to punch through the floor.
^This. And it takes 5 minutes to unbolt the e-brake, move the bracket over, and drill a new hole (just put some shims or a thin piece of wood on the other side so you don't drill through the wiring harness). Then pick your poison on glovebox mods (most popular is the hinge modification).