• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Paint time!!

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Looks awesome! Love the color and the wheels. (y)(y)(y)

What are you going to do for fender flares?

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
Quick question. When you say shim the lower mounts, how many times/shim thicknesses did it take to obtain the gaps you wanted?

Randy

OP
OP
Torkman66

Torkman66

Contributor
I made custom shims. It takes a bit of trial and error to get it just right. Your wanting to accomplish two things. First, make the round male cup part snug in both cups so there is no left to right movement of tailgate. The second is to determine thickness of each side to make the same gaps. I used a 1/8” x 1” bar stock on drivers side that required just a bit of grinding down. Maybe ground down a 1/32. The passenger side took a thin shim about 16 gauge. This combination moved the tailgate left to right for perfect gap and snugged both cups into sockets with no slip left to right. Hope this makes sense.

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
Makes perfect sense! I remember how ‘loose’ my tailgate was…even when closed…so this will make the restoration better. Thanks for posting this up.

Randy

OP
OP
Torkman66

Torkman66

Contributor
Did the white grill paint yesterday. Looks good. Installed all the parts of the grill on bench off bronco. Much easier to do that way. Have it just bolted with top 3 center bolts only. Waiting for stainless bolts to arrive tomorrow before aligning gril, fenders, hood.
IMG_8392.jpeg
I also painted the WH fender flares. I installed one today. Looks good. They are a slow tedious job to install with the welting even though I had pre installed and drilled holes prior to paint. One slip of the screw driver and you will gouge the flare. So far so good. Almost done with paint.

IMG_8391.jpeg

OP
OP
Torkman66

Torkman66

Contributor
Ah, the little details. Had the doors perfectly aligned and installed the door weather-stripping from WH. No go, no way. Could not even get door to shut and if I did, it was sticking way out in back. So went with the "make your own" system outlined a few places across this forum. Needless to say, the doors seal better, shut all the way with one east push of door, and are perfectly aligned. I'm using this system for all the weather stripping that has a channel that the pinch weld will attache to.
IMG_8397.JPG IMG_8394.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8396.JPG
    IMG_8396.JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
Torkman66

Torkman66

Contributor
Fenders, grill, hood, doors were all aligned pre paint before final disassembly. The many many hours of painstaking alignment, nudging, tweeking, and modifying seems to have paid off. After paint all the body lines look good. Hardest lines to get right are the grill to fenders T on top and the hood gaps. James provided some great advice along the way. Here are some pics.
IMG_8408.jpeg

IMG_8405.jpeg IMG_8404.jpeg IMG_8402.jpeg IMG_8401.jpeg

OP
OP
Torkman66

Torkman66

Contributor
Model QT 54. Love it. Handles everything including large cabinet blaster, da, and anything else.

OP
OP
Torkman66

Torkman66

Contributor
Final body color piece done! Windshield was painted 3 times to get it right. Dang! Installed new seal and glass and installed. Nothing left to paint but the white top. That will unfortunately have to wait until the Fall when I get back from an extended trip in October😩.
IMG_8467.jpeg IMG_8468.jpeg