• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Emergency brake

bbayliss

Does anybody else have the problem of the emergency brake being behind the roll cage leg and very hard to get to????? What are some options for this???. I am not a big E brake user but. As far as I know it is required for a Texas vehicle safety inspection. I am in the process of getting everything right so I can pass inspection.

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
Most re drill the hole that holds the assembly to the dash over to the right and inch or two. I personally just turn my foot to the side behind the cage and step down.;)

Mark in Memphis

I just bent the pedal a bit. I've heard of people using a part of a BMX bicycle. They use the pegs that kids stand on when doing tricks. They just bolt that to the side of the pedal assembly.

OP
OP
B

bbayliss

yeah i was just thinking of some mod work, but decided I would ask if everyond has the problem. thanks guys.

ransil

Bronco Guru
Bad cage design, a good one would consider the e-brake and glove box.

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
Bad cage design, a good one would consider the e-brake and glove box.

-----there is only so much room,,,,maybe the "good" cage has to protrude into the passenger area more,make a compromising bend/notch etc.,,,,,pro & cons as usual,,,,,,I like the trick bike peg mod for the E-brake best

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
I moved mine to a hand brake under the dash like the old Chevy pick ups had.

TX may or may not pass it like it is. I don't know how many old cars, hot rods, or 4X4's you've dealt with but it can be a real crap shoot. The Texas regulations are full of things that leave it up to the discretion of the inspector. If you find someone who isn't too anal stick with him and give him all your business so he gets to know you. It will pay off in the long run.

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
I moved mine to a hand brake under the dash like the old Chevy pick ups had.

TX may or may not pass it like it is. I don't know how many old cars, hot rods, or 4X4's you've dealt with but it can be a real crap shoot. The Texas regulations are full of things that leave it up to the discretion of the inspector. If you find someone who isn't too anal stick with him and give him all your business so he gets to know you. It will pay off in the long run.
----I have some cool people around the corner that own the texaco from my house,,,,,,they still emission & safety test my other vehicle by the book ,but funny thing is now for the last 5 years or so they don't even get in it much less drive the bronco,,,,, so hell yeah it's definetly good to be known well by your local inspectors so they are more worried about BSin' than inspecting

ugly74

Bronco abuser
I cut mine about 6" up from the pedal, bent it about 35-40 degrees, and welded it. no extra work to reach it with my foot, but it's still out of the way of my leg room.

77broncoguy

Loc.
Grand Rapids, MI
I had the same problem, and I have large feet. I welded a piece of metal on it that protrudes just enough from the cage to easily catch it with my boot. I used to have to push it a little ways with my hand in order to fit my foot in there.

clkwrkorg36

you can use a linear actuator and have an electric e-brake. sometimes when doing kick panels for speakers we use this method. works great.

ransil

Bronco Guru
I do not know where my cage came from but I have no e-brake or glove box issues. I have stock wiper issues. I have never seen another cage like it, it fits tight to the dash does not get in the way for getting in & out. It came with the bronco about 15 yrs ago out of southern Cal.

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
I do not know where my cage came from but I have no e-brake or glove box issues. I have stock wiper issues. I have never seen another cage like it, it fits tight to the dash does not get in the way for getting in & out. It came with the bronco about 15 yrs ago out of southern Cal.

Sounds like what I am looking for. Do you have any pictures?

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
Have you ever run hard doors with this cage? I would think you would have wingow crank issues? I know on a few cages i've had the window crake barely squeaks by

ransil

Bronco Guru
The first pic's in the thread have doors and the same cage installed, it's a bit tight but they work.

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
I'm using a floor mount Lokar. Goes between the drivers seat and door. I like it. Never did like that floor mount; the holes are right by the tire. I believe this allows some moisture (over time) to enter. Promoting the rusted out floor boards. You can see them on my build-up thread if interested. I still need to paypal Jon for contributor status. :)

joser

Loc.
Chesterfield, MI
Like previously mentioned, I just removed the bolt connecting my pedal to the bottom front edge of the dash, drilled a new hole 1 - 2 " to the right, and bolted it there. It works great.

derrick1032

Loc.
Calgary, Canada
I cant take full credit on this but I forget who and where I got the idea from. I just cut the pedal off,bought a bmx stunt peg(had to trim as it was too long) and bolted it to a newly drilled hole where the pedal used to be.Works very well. Beacause I got my cage as close to the dash as possibile, I had to shorten the release handle a little.

Attachments

• pedal.jpg
    pedal.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 53
  • release.jpg
    release.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 36

RG's 74

Loc.
Wentzville
Bend the pedal to the right a bit so you can apply it and extend the release with a rope or something. I have the same problem I tied a rope to the release because that was my biggest problem. But the rope is only temporary a quick fix in a moment of frustration but it works. I'll eventually figure out another better way when I get to it. I got a whole lot more to deal with before that.