• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Project "BOB - Big Orange Bronco" Wheeling pics addded

OP
OP
SC74

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Things are really starting to come together ;D Hopefully I'll have more pics for next weekend when the cage is back in and the body work begins!

OP
OP
SC74

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
VERY NICE work Robert. Fawl Crawl.......... ? :)
Karl

Thank you Karl!

I have to admit that Fawl Crawl is a goal and is what has lit a fire under our butts to get so much done on the truck. There are a lot of loose ends left - I'm sure I don't even remember half of them. We'll have to get it done a couple weeks early to test run it locally before hauling it so far, but I sure hope to see you there ;D

744x4

Loc.
Taylors,SC
Hey Karl show me a shot of your steering colum.Roberts looks wierd with the big EB colum and the quick release button hovering over the wheel.

744x4

Loc.
Taylors,SC
BTW the aged AL look can be had with some Pool acid and a paint brush and a green 3-M Scotchbrite pad so quit asking.It started out as standard Polished AL diamond plate and went to its current form from there.

Last edited:

kb6677

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Karl show me a shot of your steering colum.Roberts looks wierd with the big EB colum and the quick release button hovering over the wheel.

We had the same thought Robert. Ended up going to the roundyround shop in H'ville and getting some of their "steering column" thick walled shaft- ujoint after it comes through the firewall, heim off the front coil mount to run through with the shaft to the box- end on the shaft to hook up to the box.

Attachments

• Steering Column excess.JPG
    Steering Column excess.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 166
OP
OP
SC74

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Karl - What supports the column b/w the fire wall and dash? Is one heim enough on that end?

Looks like I need to take a trip to Treadwells in Spartanburg and see what we can engineer. Yours looks much better than the huge stock column.

I imagine that one of the switches on the dash is your blinker? I was thinking of using a 3 way switch to the left of the stock speedo cluster for turn signals.

kb6677

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Karl - What supports the column b/w the fire wall and dash? Is one heim enough on that end?

Looks like I need to take a trip to Treadwells in Spartanburg and see what we can engineer. Yours looks much better than the huge stock column.

I imagine that one of the switches on the dash is your blinker? I was thinking of using a 3 way switch to the left of the stock speedo cluster for turn signals.

rear lights York air

Winch Wipers

KC's(front) Heater

We got slack on hooking up the turnsignals................ :(

The steering shaft is supported out front with a heim "down" from the back of the dash-thought that was cleaner than putting one in the front of the dash off the cross bar on the cage.......... Make sure you address the angle at the bottom of the shaft when you do the front heim deal. If you get too steep with it the ujoint at the bottom in the engine compartment will not like it. Don't ask me how I know this :) Longer shaft will reduce your angle at the bottom.
HTH

OP
OP
SC74

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
We got slack on hooking up the turnsignals................ :(

HTH

Dang Karl - you shouldn't have told me that! I'm going to get a double throw rocker switch to put on the left side of the stock gauge cluster.

We figured out the steering using the stock column. We disected the stock column and cut the housing so that we use the lower bearing and will use a standard 3/4" heim to replace the top bearing. All you will see out of the dash will be a 3/4" steering shaft - no more bulky shifter column ;D

kb6677

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Dang Karl - you shouldn't have told me that! I'm going to get a double throw rocker switch to put on the left side of the stock gauge cluster.

We figured out the steering using the stock column. We disected the stock column and cut the housing so that we use the lower bearing and will use a standard 3/4" heim to replace the top bearing. All you will see out of the dash will be a 3/4" steering shaft - no more bulky shifter column ;D

NICE!!!!!

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
Great work, I like that console idea!!! I'm thinking that way for the stretch, maybe a little higher and if funds hold out get the x-fer shifters up there too?? May use the column shift and just put the x-fer guys there??? I'm still in the planning stage on that!!!

I may wait to see how my SC/744 cage unfolds!!!!;D ;D ;D

66Gasgrill

Loc.
Canton, NC
OP
OP
SC74

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
hey robert check this out for your turn signals
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Hi-Tech-Turn-Signal-Module-Standard,2366.html

And i used theses for my steering shaft.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Firewall-Mount-Flanged-Sleeve,2044.html

I just pulled the shaft out of an old manual column and added a u-joint. It has worked well for several years. I have one of those mounts at the firewall and one at the dash.

Travis - Thanks for the links.

I think we have the steering column figured out using the existing stock column. What we did was cut the column where the "U" shaped bracket mounts the stock column housing to the body behind the dash. We cut it so that we can use that same bracket, but also put a heim on just the 3/4" column. That will support the top side and the stock lower bearing will support the lower end at the firewall. TSC didn't have any 3/4" heims local so I'm waiting on one to come in that I ordered from Summit (with a steering wheel and double throw rocker switch). We'll have to sleeve the 3/4" column with something and put a set screw in it to keep it from wanting to slide out - or maybe cut a groove for a snap ring.

Interesting solution for blinkers - I'll have to keep that in mind.

How is your project coming along? Were you able to sell your rolling chassis?

66Gasgrill

Loc.
Canton, NC
still in pieces. And no nobody seems interested in buying much right now, so it's still sitting in the shop. i'll get back on it soon though.

OP
OP
SC74

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here are some pics of how we did the stock steering column. We cut the stock set-up so that we use the lower bearing and added a heim at the existing mount in lieu of the upper bearing. Very easy conversion and cleans it up since I'm not using the shifting mechanism or wiring in the column.

Attachments

• Steering Column 2.jpg
    Steering Column 2.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 93
  • Steering Column 3.jpg
    Steering Column 3.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 110
  • Steering Column 4.jpg
    Steering Column 4.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 126
  • Steering Column 5.jpg
    Steering Column 5.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 92
  • Steering Column 6.jpg
    Steering Column 6.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 95

744x4

Loc.
Taylors,SC
The first column is a 3 speed one for comparison Vs the altered Auto column.It took 30 seconds with the plasma cutter to gut it.The hardest part is getting a 1 1/8 wrench in behind the column support to tighten up the jam nuts.

OP
OP
SC74

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No pics, but the painted cage is back in, seats are mounted for good, and the coilovers are bolted back in place.

1Ton73

Loc.
Roseburg, Oregon
I finally had a little time to get caught up on your build. Excellent work, everything looks great, I can't wait to see more!

OP
OP
SC74

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
1Ton73 - Thanks for the compliment. I was surprised to see this back on the front page, but I like it there so I'm bumping it again ;D

Did some sanding on the body tonite. Should have body work and paint done in a week or 2.