• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Progressive TB linkage

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I got tired to the overly sensitive off-idle throttle response of my 65mm explorer TB. I made some measurements of my pedal travel, drew up some ideas, and made a trip to the hardware store. I found a cheap pulley with a steel wheel about 1 1/2" in diameter. I cut about 40% of the wheel off so it would not interfere with the kickdown cable at full throttle. It took a little experimentation to determine the proper mounting position so to gain full use of the available throttle travel. I think this just might work.

Attachments

• Bronco 473.jpg
    Bronco 473.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 534
  • Bronco 474.jpg
    Bronco 474.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 469
  • Bronco 475.jpg
    Bronco 475.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 478
  • Bronco 476.jpg
    Bronco 476.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 436

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Good idea. If I remember correctly my 87 BII had a similar setup from the factory

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I did the same on my old Projection. Instead of your wheel I found some junkyard engine that had a bolt on cam and by welding bolts to it that lined up with the holes in the throttle linkage I made it a bolt on.

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Excellent iea. I have been waiting for someone to come up with something clever. That very problem has been bothering me. Let us know how well it works.

OP
OP
Viperwolf1

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Excellent iea. I have been waiting for someone to come up with something clever. That very problem has been bothering me. Let us know how well it works.

I hope to try it out soon. My Bronco's been down for repair and upgrade for a while now and I just got the trans and tcase back in. I'll post up the results.

OP
OP
Viperwolf1

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
It works pretty damn good. Feels just like my my modern truck now. I can actually slowly accellerate from a stop. I highly recommend this for anyone using the 65mm throttle body. No more snapped diffs for me.

Bronco_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Monette Ar
looks good.

have yopu modifed the pivot point on the gas pedal yet? it is WAY differnt then a modern efi engine.

NJB71

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Little Silver, NJ
I got tired to the overly sensitive off-idle throttle response of my 65mm explorer TB. I made some measurements of my pedal travel, drew up some ideas, and made a trip to the hardware store. I found a cheap pulley with a steel wheel about 1 1/2" in diameter. I cut about 40% of the wheel off so it would not interfere with the kickdown cable at full throttle. It took a little experimentation to determine the proper mounting position so to gain full use of the available throttle travel. I think this just might work.

Hey Viperwolf, how is the expirement working?, noticed my Throttle is beastly on the efi set up, 70mm explorer TB, was the mod easy?

OP
OP
Viperwolf1

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
It's working great, no problems. Much more throttle control right off idle. It's almost like having a lower first gear. It's easy. I had to drill two holes in the BCB throttle lever, lengthen the throttle cable (actually cut the sheath shorter), and I had to add a throttle return spring.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
progressive TB linkage

Viper did you still have the standard explorer linkage on the TB? I converted mine to the mustang bracket using the Lars mod. And can you explain how you extended the BC throttle cable.

thanks Ben

OP
OP
Viperwolf1

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Viper did you still have the standard explorer linkage on the TB? I converted mine to the mustang bracket using the Lars mod. And can you explain how you extended the BC throttle cable.

thanks Ben

This TB was converted to the mustang lever before the BC kit was installed. I have also done this to a standard explorer TB with the BC kit. The standard explorer TB went faster but probably because I had a good idea of what I was doing the 2nd time.

The BC throttle inner cable is a little long to begin with. With a new one the length may be ok. If the inner cable has been trimmed already you can extend it by pulling the inner cable back and cutting the sheath the amount you want to extend the inner cable. Make sure the sheath is going to be long enough first.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Ok I think I got it. I am running the explorer TB with the mustang linkage installed and actually have the BC cable kit sitting on the shelf. So it sounds like I am good to go after I find a pulley?

Thanks Ben