• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear Swaybar for 4link or those that need it

gravy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Parsippany
I have been playing around for a while with different ideas for a rear swaybar for my truck and I figured I would share what I worked out so far. I am running 4link in the rear with coils and rs9000's mounted as far out as I could mount them, I have the shocks turned all the way up to help the road manners (sway) but it needs a sway bar in the rear. After toying around with currie universal swaybars and some others I found a stock TJ rear swaybar at the shop and start playing around with it for measuring purposes after I saw one mounted in the rear of a TJ. Seamed like it would work so I order a Full Traction HD (19mm) replacement swaybar which came with the bushings and straps for 150 bucks. Skyjacker makes one also which cost 135 but has 2 monting holes where the FT one has 3. This changes the torshion rate of the bar. FYI- I guess you could try a stock one by Im not sure how affective it would be. I tried mounting it like the TJ but my lower links were just slightly in the way, on a leaf spring truck this mounting style would work fine and possibly the JD 4 link where the links are mounted more inboard than mine are. TJ axle mounting brackets are available also if you arent able to make your own.--- I went another route..... After playing around for a while I noticed that the bends might work to go up and over the 4 link. I mounted it to the frame with brackets I made and the bar loops over the upper 4link bars and is mounted 1 inch below the frame making room for my muffler also. It is perfect width for the frame. I am still finishing the lower mounts which have quick disconnects and I am making some provisions to strap it up and out of the way when not in use. Here are some pics of it mounted, I also added one where it would sit if mounted to the axle.

Attachments

• IMG00023-20100307-1226.jpg
    IMG00023-20100307-1226.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG00024-20100307-1227.jpg
    IMG00024-20100307-1227.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG00025-20100307-1229.jpg
    IMG00025-20100307-1229.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG00016-20100307-1015.jpg
    IMG00016-20100307-1015.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 203

mavereq

Bronco Guru
nice work. i'd like to hear how well it works once you get everything buttoned up. i was curious about mounting one up front and wasn't sure why i haven't seen many on here.

OP
OP
gravy

gravy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Parsippany
Thanks. I will post an update as soon as I finish the lower mounts and take it out for a spin. In the front the steering box really makes it a challenge to mount one in the front of the frame. I also notice that with the rear leafs and the torshion resistance of the radius arms it had great road manners and I loved how it felt driving. The rear swaybar will hopefully give me that feel back and when im wheeling I can disconnect it and tuck it out of the way.

mavereq

Bronco Guru
x2

i still haven't worked out my sway bar but i know i'm gonna need one. i think i have room to mount a currie rockjock but if this is cheaper i'd like to know.

chuzie

Bronco Guru
x3. I have the Duff's 4-link and desperately need to get my rear sway under control before I lose my rig on the road.

mavereq

Bronco Guru
i think the 32" currie anti-rock will mount right behind the middle bodymounts on top of the frame. i think i have a pic of someone else's. i'll try to dig it up.

mavereq

Bronco Guru
i don't remember who posted this pic, but this is similar to what i want to do:

Attachments

• rear swaybar.jpg
    rear swaybar.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 96

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Those will work but I cannot afford to drop $400+ on a sway setup. There must be a less expensive option that is just as effective.

OP
OP
gravy

gravy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Parsippany
Its works great on the street. Got rid of the excessive body roll without stiffening it up to much, It feels great on the street now. The only issue I have is that I have to remove it when I wheel which I was trying to avoid, the upper links hit it a little. It can be mounted on the axle also which I may try switching to in the future but I will have to bend it a little so for now I just take it out when we go wheeling. For the 100 bucks it is way worth it

OP
OP
gravy

gravy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Parsippany
BTW- it may be also worth checking out the factory rear swaybar from 80-90's broncos. It is similar in style and fairly small in diameter, might be a cheaper option worth exploring for those that can mount it on the axle or frame

mavereq

Bronco Guru
do you know if any 78-79 broncos or 70's f150's came with swaybars on the front? i'd like to find one that fit a hp44. what a pain up front with that steering box.

OP
OP
gravy

gravy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Parsippany
I have one in my garage with most of the hardware. Its from a bronco d44 HP i shortened

mavereq

Bronco Guru
can you email me some pics to eodzuke at yahoo.com? are you interested in selling it?