• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lets see your junkyard air boxes

hammer

Bronco Guru
Like the title says. What are you using for a junkyard air box for your ford efi cold air intake? Pics and the donor vehicle.

Last edited:

Dbteak

I will post one but it is not a efi. I used a d-max filter box and cut out the middle and made a new upper and lower out of sheet metal.

Attachments

• IMG_0018.jpg
    IMG_0018.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 472
  • IMG_0019.jpg
    IMG_0019.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 448
  • IMG_0020.jpg
    IMG_0020.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 461
  • IMG_0021.jpg
    IMG_0021.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 480
  • IMG_0022.jpg
    IMG_0022.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 410

canzelc

I am looking for ideas/solutions for a cold air intake as well. Anybody used the BC Broncos arctic air box? It seems pricey but if it works well it looks like a good solution.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
NOT a fan of oiled filter elements in dirt. BT, DT. It is not a good solution. They pass too much dirt. Find an element that isn't oiled however you do it.

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
^ Amsoil makes oil-less lifetime air filters. Rinse with water and air dry. Had one on my Cobra for years

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Ever test it for dirt by-pass?

Spray some of the filter oil on the surfaces downstream of the filter (obviously not on a MAF or something). Drive it and check the oil for grit. This is how I knew that oiled filter that I had didn't stop the dirt.

I know in an EB packaging is a big problem when the fender liners are still present, but I'd give serious thought to one of the off highway equipment filter assemblies. I've also found that there is Motorcraft p/n for what I *think* is a PSD filter assembly with a Donaldson Powercore filter element.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mof-fa1759
I've been thinking to order one and see if I can make it work (no fender liners, yet.)

canzelc

That looks like it might work but where do you mount the MAF, route the intake duct, might have to relocate the battery?

I think that I am looking for a more bolt on solution, which is why the BC box is interesting. I am sure I can find a good filter to mount inside the box if the ones it comes with is no good.

Anybody actually install a BC box?

mattt

Bronco Guru
I came up with 2 different options from other Ford vehicles, both of which work and fit quite well. I only used one of them, and still have the other sitting around. The one I went with is from an early 00's Lincoln Continental. With the round filter element, it had the most filter surface area, hence why I chose this one. I don't have any pics of the installed air box only....the only pic I have is complete engine compartment. It fits well on the drivers side, but could work on passenger side as well if you move the battery. I plan to enclose/shroud the inlet end later on down the road so it only pulls air from outside the engine compartment.

The other rectangular box pictured is from a mid 90's Lincoln Mark VII or Mark VIII(can't remember which). It actually fits even better than the round canister I went with, but I wanted filter surface area. Both of these are off 4.6 "Hot Rod Lincolns"....but neither of them 'drove me to drinkin...'

Edit: Both of these factory air boxes are mass air ready and have a flange internally to mount the mass air flow sensor to. You can see the wire harness exiting both boxes.

Attachments

• airbox3.JPG
    airbox3.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 348
  • airbox4.jpg
    airbox4.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 415
  • engine.jpg
    engine.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 460
  • engine2.jpg
    engine2.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 523
Last edited:

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I guess I could relocate the battery....don't what to but I could......

I was planning on going to the yard with an idea of what might work and then popping hoods till I found a candidate to modify and make work.

Tim

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That PSD system with the Donaldson filter is HUGE. I have one on my 01 SD, takes up a lot of room, unlikely to fit in an EB. Has two snorkels, one to the inner fender, the other through the core support.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
That PSD system with the Donaldson filter is HUGE. I have one on my 01 SD, takes up a lot of room, unlikely to fit in an EB. Has two snorkels, one to the inner fender, the other through the core support.

So it could work for me when I go SEFI on the 351W. No fender liners, battery moved, etc. (battery to move again, don't like it there & want my vent back).
i-7Tm45SZ-M.jpg

RonJones

Contributor
I thought about doing something similar with my 4 barrel carb, but instead of bringing it out front, tapping into the right hood air inlet, since it's not used with the Vintage Air. There's a relatively simple air box from Air Inlet Systems - top one on the URL below that might work:

http://ramairbox.com/models.html

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Here is what I did to a 87-93 Mustang airbox to make the CA smog Ref happy. It pulled air from the Engine compartment.

Attachments

• Airbox-Installed1.jpg
    Airbox-Installed1.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 317
  • Airbox-View4.jpg
    Airbox-View4.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 280
  • Airbox-View3.jpg
    Airbox-View3.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 257
  • Airbox-View1.jpg
    Airbox-View1.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 255
  • Airbox-Mod3.jpg
    Airbox-Mod3.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 238
  • Airbox-Mod1.jpg
    Airbox-Mod1.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 226

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Here is what I did to a 87-93 Mustang airbox to make the CA smog Ref happy. It pulled air from the Engine compartment.

Air from the engine compartment is hot air, why would you want that?
For every 10 degrees hotter the intake air is, you lose one horsepower.