• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Did I mention I bought another Bronco?-PHOTOS

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
. . .

So yesterday while my LEBC Bronco Brethren were having fun in San Antonio, I was epoxy priming the body.

. . .

We were thinking about you. But you did miss some good BBQ! ;D

Attachments

• IMG_3712.jpg
    IMG_3712.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_3707.jpg
    IMG_3707.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 120
OP
OP
Wyflyer

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
Yes it's a Dupont 2k Epoxy. This Bronco came factory with a red primer, so in the spirit of originality i'm doing the same.

Is that red oxide epoxy primer? Looking good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
WOW!Looks like you've done a lot of work on this project,looks great,keep up the good work. :cool:

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Awesome thread Wyflyer! Thanks for the info.

Your work is awesome!

OP
OP
Wyflyer

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
We seam sealed the tub yesterday, and today we painted the engine bay, floorboards and firewall in Calypso Coral.
Still on track to paint it in the Stroppe color scheme.
I only painted the floorboard from the bulkhead forward since the rear bed will get some body work and color matched Linex. I left the bottom of the tub in epoxy primer since it'll get a nice coat of old fashioned 3M undercoating. Which should be easy while still in the rotisserie.

Attachments

• IMG_1250.jpg
    IMG_1250.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_1244.jpg
    IMG_1244.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_1245.jpg
    IMG_1245.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_1247(1).jpg
    IMG_1247(1).jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 118
OP
OP
Wyflyer

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
Yes Skiddy, it's rust free!
Gents, I need some advice about which radiator to use. I have the factory 98 Explorer fan and clutch. I have painted the tub but have not chosen any particular radiator mounts yet. Maybe I should've figured this out and welded something on already, but I figured it'd either use stock factory radiator mounts and bolt them on the radiator support, or fabricate Explorer mounts to do the same with an Explorer 4.0 radiator.
I'm using the Explorer transmission cooler lines, and have cut and flared them ready for an extension. They are pointing forward on the passenger side, right below the alternator.
I read all this stuff about radiator clearance and hose location and get lost in the chatter. So, will a 4.0 radiator work with this Explorer stuff? And use the Explorer shroud? And get hoses to fit? and cooler lines on the right side?
thanks

OP
OP
Wyflyer

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
I'm going to try to fire the engine today in the bare chassis before the tub goes on. I've rebooked up the harness, grounded everything, stood the explorer radiator on the front of the frame, and put fluids in everything. The transmission only has 7 qts, plan to add more after running it briefly and purging each gear. Going to see how "plug and play" EFI guy's harness is;)

Any final advice for me?

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
I'm going to try to fire the engine today in the bare chassis before the tub goes on. I've rebooked up the harness, grounded everything, stood the explorer radiator on the front of the frame, and put fluids in everything. The transmission only has 7 qts, plan to add more after running it briefly and purging each gear. Going to see how "plug and play" EFI guy's harness is;)

Any final advice for me?

Video it, so we can join in from afar!

OP
OP
Wyflyer

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
Katy said "It's Alive!!"

Yep, oil is primed;) It fired up instantly. We ran it a couple times, cycled each gear and added transmission fluid. Ran it a couple times and warmed it up good.
It idled fast for awhile, then warmed up and slowed down. I don't have a tach, so can't tell you what the idle RPM was. It was not idling perfectly, doing some rpm chasing.
I cleaned the IAC and installed a new gasket. Now the fuel pump circuit kicks on but it won't trigger the starter. Zero, zilch, nada. No noise, no relays, nothing.
I've unhooked the battery for awhile, going to try it again.
Taking suggestions...

full video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3MhAHdbl2I

[youtube]y3MhAHdbl2I[/youtube]

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
sweet, sounds pretty good. hopefully just a connection that came loose

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Nice brother...

Katy said "It's Alive!!"

Yep, oil is primed;) It fired up instantly. We ran it a couple times, cycled each gear and added transmission fluid. Ran it a couple times and warmed it up good.
It idled fast for awhile, then warmed up and slowed down. I don't have a tach, so can't tell you what the idle RPM was. It was not idling perfectly, doing some rpm chasing.
I cleaned the IAC and installed a new gasket. Now the fuel pump circuit kicks on but it won't trigger the starter. Zero, zilch, nada. No noise, no relays, nothing.
I've unhooked the battery for awhile, going to try it again.
Taking suggestions...

full video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3MhAHdbl2I

[youtube]y3MhAHdbl2I[/youtube]

OP
OP
Wyflyer

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
I appreciate the compliments, it helps motivate me to keep working.
I forgot to add my pics of trimming the 4R70W pan for driveline clearance before I added fluid and ran the engine. I thought i'd be able to dodge that bullet, but it wasn't to be.
I made it fun, refreshing my TIG skills..

Attachments

• IMG_0077.jpg
    IMG_0077.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_0071.jpg
    IMG_0071.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_0067.jpg
    IMG_0067.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_0065.jpg
    IMG_0065.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 182
OP
OP
Wyflyer

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
Worked every day this week to finish the chassis, and plan to set the tub tomorrow.
We got the axles media blasted and POR15'd. Installed the 3.5" WH lift, rebuilt the front ball joints, installed axle brakes lines and outside brake hose hangers. Installed the old drive shaft so I can use Park gear. Got the exhaust hangers installed so exhaust is finished.
The Bronco Hut Sanderson headers don't completely match the ports on the GT40P heads, so they sent a set of gaskets which arrived today and I was able to reinstall the headers before we set the body. Luckily I found some collector gaskets at auto zone. Much easier to work on this way. Wish I could have run it one more time but I dont' feel like hooking the electrical up again at this point.
More parts should arrive next week so I can install the tie rods and trac bar and hook up the steering.
I'm waiting on front knuckle and hub parts and front axle shafts so its just rolling on bearings for now.

Then move on to the dash and steering column.
I ordered a BCB Vintage air 3 or 4 weeks ago with a promised 1 week delivery, but it hasn't arrived yet%). I was hoping to get it installed before the dash needs to go in.
Putting it back together with good parts is slow, but satisfying. Steady as she goes..

Attachments

• IMG_0176.jpg
    IMG_0176.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0173.jpg
    IMG_0173.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0166.jpg
    IMG_0166.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_0170.jpg
    IMG_0170.jpg