• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Electric Windshield Wipers

gruntman1

Loc.
Pasadena, TX
I have a '67 wipe vacuum wipers. Is it practicle to convert electric wipers using a later year wiper assembly from a Bronco. I have been told it could be done but I would need to drill a new hole for one of the wiper arms. Also have know of WH system from catalog but they are not synchronized which may not be that important. Any suggestions?

ElJefe

Loc.
San Diego
I have an electric wiper setup on mine that is off of an early Toyota FJ40 Landcruiser that had the wipers at the top of the windshield frame. Believe it or not... the landcruiser has EXACTLY the same spacing between the wiper arms as the EB. The motor and center arm are one casting and the driver side arm is driven with a push/pull cable. The entire thing sits neatly behind the windshield frame without sticking up at all or down into the glass area at all. Something to consider before putting one of those clunky POS ford systems on there to replace your even bigger POS ford system. Too bad Ford didn't hire a few Japanese engineers back then ;) A little work to wire but other than that works great!

Fathom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
If you want info on the Land Cruiser Swap. This is what I went through. Though I have not finished it. I need to put in my Centech Wire Harness.

The windshield holes were 4" farther apart then the Land Cruiser setup. So I lengthen the setup rather then drill a new hole ;D

Fathom

OP
OP
G

gruntman1

Loc.
Pasadena, TX
Man, I read what I wrote, I thought I could spell, maybe its the typing.

Thanks for the info, thats interesting. Do you know years for Toyota reference?

Fathom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
gruntman1 said:
Do you know years for Toyota reference?
Toyota FJ40 Landcruiser 68-74 ?
I was told to use a 71

I bought mine used at http://www.cruiserparts.net/parts/fj40.htm
Half way down the page "1968-1974 $125 Complete wiper set up".

I was not to happy with the product because it came really dirty, arms had some corrosion, screws missing from the motor housings, and apparently complete does not include blades.

So you might want to find another resource.......

Fathom

ElJefe

Loc.
San Diego
That's right... I keep forgetting that the spacing for the vacuum setup is different. The landcruiser setup dropps right in place of the bronco electric wipers.

ElJefe

Loc.
San Diego
Hey FATHOM... FWIW... when I wired mine, I spent 6 hours with a LC wiring diagram to figure out how the damned thing worked. Granted this was a decade ago but if memory serves, the single hot lead powers all of the speeds and the motor grounds through the switch. I took the original HOT that used to go to the wiper switch and ran it straight to the motor bypassing the bronco wiper switch. I ran the parking ground from the motor to the windshield frame. I rewired the wiper switch hooking up the main center terminal at the wiper switch to ground. And I ran the other two leads from the Landcruiser setup to the low and high terminals on the switch. This setup basically runs hot directly to the motor, and then depending on what position you put the switch to, grounds either the high speed windings or the low speed windings through the wiper switch. When the switch is off, All of the grounds are broken and it grounds to park until it parks. Has been working great for 10 years.

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
When I did mine i used separate marine motors wired to one switch. They work fine but do go out of & comback into sync, which is no problem for me 'cause the original vac wipers did that all the time also.
Toms Bronco parts now sell a system that works like a stock electrc setup, but is made to fit in the original holes from a vacuum setup. That sounds like the best wat to gof or those who can't deal with wipers out of syn. If you're dead set on wanting to have a factory electric setup, the are symple intructions to be found for cutting & welding the longest stock arm, making it an easy install into the old vacuum wiper holes ;D

OP
OP
G

gruntman1

Loc.
Pasadena, TX
Thanks for the info. Looks like you all have a good wiper conversion. I'm not sure I can tackle the LC conversion because I don't have all the stuff it takes to modify the parts. I'm still leaning toward using a '74-'77 Bronco electric wiper system or WH system. Anything would be better than the vacuum wipers. Again thanks for your help. I will be asking about a lot of things in the future. I have one year to get my Bronco ready for a daily driver. It is in good shape and driveable now but things I plan to do are:

1. Front disc brake conversion with booster
2. PS conversion
3. 2" body lift
4. 3 1/2" suspension lift
5. Roll cage
6. Seats w/ safety belts
7. A lot of misc. stuff

kwspony

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Roseville
search for a thread called "wiper conversion" by me. I swapped in a newer electric setup in to my 68. the only major mod is having to lengthen the linkage about 4".

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
I think using the Bronco stuff is the easiest way. Cut and reweld the linkage and you don't move the holes at all. It isn't the most modern setup but it gets water off of the windshield :) . And, buyng used is probably WAY CHEAPER than whatever kit you are looking at. :)

Fathom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
ElJefe said:
Hey FATHOM... FWIW... when I wired mine, I spent 6 hours with a LC wiring diagram to figure out how the damned thing worked. Granted this was a decade ago but if memory serves, the single hot lead powers all of the speeds and the motor grounds through the switch. I took the original HOT that used to go to the wiper switch and ran it straight to the motor bypassing the bronco wiper switch. I ran the parking ground from the motor to the windshield frame. I rewired the wiper switch hooking up the main center terminal at the wiper switch to ground. And I ran the other two leads from the Landcruiser setup to the low and high terminals on the switch. This setup basically runs hot directly to the motor, and then depending on what position you put the switch to, grounds either the high speed windings or the low speed windings through the wiper switch. When the switch is off, All of the grounds are broken and it grounds to park until it parks. Has been working great for 10 years.

Sounds Great! I re-wired the motor because I wanted to switch the HOT instead of the GROUND. Next I want to try wiring an intermittant switch to it...thus the need for switching the HOT.

Thanks

Fathom

Fathom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
gruntman1 said:
.....I'm not sure I can tackle the LC conversion because I don't have all the stuff it takes to modify the parts. I'm still leaning toward using a '74-'77 Bronco electric wiper system or WH system.....

I know you asked about Bronco systems in your first post. I saw ElJefe mention it, so I only brought up the Land Cruiser swap I did. I don't think I would recommend the swap anyway.

Have you checked out Tom's Bronco Parts? Their website seems to be down, but they have the wiper conversion kits....

Good Luck

Fathom

OP
OP
G

gruntman1

Loc.
Pasadena, TX
I saw where Skuzzlebutt said to check out Toms Bronco Parts. I tried to get on website but could not, like you said must be down. I just happened to pick up a catalog at the FFF this last weekend and you guys are correct, they do have a conversion for $249 which includes everything including wipers. I'll be contacting them for more info. Thanks to all.

OP
OP
G

gruntman1

Loc.
Pasadena, TX
Ok, I bought the conversion kit from Toms Bronco Parts. Kit comes complete with everything including wipers and blades. When you add up individual prices for components, $249 does not seem to bad if this system works as advertized and last a good length of time. I'll need to drill a hole for the switch. Anyone have pictures showing where switch would normally go?

OP
OP
G

gruntman1

Loc.
Pasadena, TX
gruntman1 said:
Ok, I bought the conversion kit from Toms Bronco Parts. Kit comes complete with everything including wipers and blades. When you add up individual prices for components, $249 does not seem to bad if this system works as advertized and last a good length of time. I'll need to drill a hole for the switch. Anyone have pictures showing where switch would normally go?

I installed the wiper system from Tom's Bronco Parts this weekend in my '67 although I have not wired it up yet. Here are my installation comments:

1. A little surprised at how heavy unit is.
2. Have to lose or modify sunvisor location.
3. Wiper shaft spacing is perfect. Directions tell to drill existing 5/8" wiper holes to 3/4".
4. Only problem I've had, so far, is the wiper shafts could be a little longer where the support nut fits on the outside to tighten down the unit. I was only able to get about two or three threads engaged for tightening. Thought I had stripped threads on one side. Directions say do not over tighten. So after several attempts I hope it is tight enough.

Summary: Very easy, simple installation (watch out for nut tightening). I have now figured out where to put the switch and hope to wire it up this weekend. I'll let you know how it works.

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
I was thinkin' about converting to a vacume system. That's what I miss the most about my '68! The thrill you receive in the pouring down rain -- when you accelerate -- and your wipers just Stop -- it's the whole anticipation thing.."will they make another sweep before I hit something"? All this new fangled electric stuff is taking the fun out of driving! ;D

OP
OP
G

gruntman1

Loc.
Pasadena, TX
It is a load of fun especially when your wiper blades are also shot. I have two vacuum motors that work if you want them.