• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Building rock rails

Amac70

ME
and yet another thread hi jack from the pnw. WEll this guy i know needs a windshield cut and has a bender only has 1" and very soon 1 3/4 dies though. but lots of free time on his hands lately. (hopefully that will change very soon though errgg)

and to add to the thread my rockskis 3.16 2x5 tube welded just to the body. and i beat the piss out of them and jack from them no problems.

OP
OP
admin

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
I cut the bottom off the front fender and welded a 1" piece along the bottom and bolted the fender to the rock ski.
Thanks for that pic. I hadn't figured out exactly how I was going to brace the bottom of the from fender where I cut it. Now I know.;D

OP
OP
admin

admin

Administrator
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Hey Jon I think that your drivers seat may need adjusted :)
It's so I can keep the kids in back out of trouble. It's on a swivel like those cool captains chairs from an 80's conversion van.;)

joser

Loc.
Chesterfield, MI
I did not have any issues with my front fenders not being stiff enough. I had to trim about 1/4" off the bottom of the fender so it would clear the weld bead on the ski, but once I bolted in in place, it seems plenty strong.

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Ringwood, NJ
Those are lookin like they're gonna be a nice addition when you are done. Kinda makin me wish I had done the same. Oh well, maybe on the next Bronco.

-John

OP
OP
admin

admin

Administrator
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Jon - You going to test those at this year's Stampede? Almost no better place to test recent mods than the Flo Jct area.
That's the plan, but it's looking about 50/50 right now. I just can't seem to get the garage hours to make much progress. Stupid day job. :)

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
bronko69er, did his with 4x6 tube and capped the ends. The reason he went with 4x6 was to make them into air tanks. I can't remember the thickness.

I want to do something like that, but I am torn as my rocker panels look good. At least for right now.

Martin

3/16" wall with 5/16" stiffening rods to accomodate the 180psi.
See page 2 of my build thread in my sig.
And they will take a good beating (being welded to the body).... just ask the guys that came on teh turkey run at Evans creek.....

BTW, looks great Jon!