• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

H1 Beadlocks - Center choice and back spacing

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Alright - I've decided on a set of 42" TSL SX's for my new tire setup and now onto the details. I picked up a set of H1 beadlocks for ~$30 a pop with the rubber run-flat.

First question - looking at the rubber run-flats, can I run them as is? I don't plan on ever airing down below 10PSI - it would save a lot of time not having to modify them...

Second question - back spacing. What are you guys running with one tons? SpareParts? I know you are rocking a similar tire size and H1's -

Third question - re-centering. I'm digging the pressed center idea, looks like the easiest to install and get it square/straight. A buddy installed them and he said it was as easy and cutting out the old center, quick grinding, drop in the new and weld it up.

Getting excited - looking for the best deals I can find and then I'm pulling the trigger.

Kyle

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Why wouldn't you air down below 10psi? I think you might wanna depending on the terrain :)

OP
OP
KyleQ

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I've never had a need in my neck of the woods - I've done 10psi in the winter, but that was more than enough. I typically wheel around 20psi-

A lot of people say they don't have any issues running the rubber inserts with a 42" tire anyway...

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
I just started using mine. But Jamey has used his with 39.5 iroks and now PBR's on them and runs them about 3-5 psi. Mine are about the same so far, I have one trip on them and had them at 5 psi on the rear and 7 in the front.

We both are running the press centers and they are 3.5" bs. The pic I have in the other tread is at 7 psi with the H1 wheel, 3.5" bs.

OP
OP
KyleQ

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Does your thread cover the install process? Happy with the back spacing?

I'm going to need to lift to clear these - so much for driving into my garage unmolested...

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I've never had a need in my neck of the woods - I've done 10psi in the winter, but that was more than enough. I typically wheel around 20psi-

A lot of people say they don't have any issues running the rubber inserts with a 42" tire anyway...

10-4 bud.. Whatever works for you, that's all that matters ;)

reynard101

Bronco Guru
I think I would cut the run flat down if I would go below 10 psi.

I would cut down the run flat portion as well. It is a real pain to install the center with the rubber run flat portion. I used a small band saw to cut the rubber off (no pictures). It was time consuming and the results were so-so because cutting rubber sucks. I haven't driven my Bronco yet.

Pressed centers max back spacing is 3.5".

Pic of 24 bolt wheels n' tires.

bronco1_zpsf71f344c.jpg

mavereq

Bronco Guru
Why not just get the PVC inserts to run instead of the run flats? They're $50 each.

OP
OP
KyleQ

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Yeah - another $250+ by the time they get to the door. I don't even have half that into the wheels. Anyone know the actual diameter? I've got a giant plumbing/steel supplier in town and maybe they have the correct size to cut down.

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
I have wheeled in deep mud in louisiana, big rocks here on the east coast and alot in between. I run as low a pressure that will keep the tire on the rim. I typically run 3 in the rear and 5 in the front, but have run 0psi in the rears on dry rocks. Crazy how a tire can hook up with no pressure.

I would get the PVC if you can swing it, but dont run with the run flats below 10psi. You can easily pinch and tear a new tire...

OP
OP
KyleQ

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I wasn't airing down super low with 37's and 1 tons as I needed all the axle clearance I could get. Lots of big tires in my area that dig deep ruts.

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
Gripping rocks is a lot different than playing in the mud, you are correct. My 17 inch wheels have a 4 1/2 inch backspacing to them. I'm truly happier with the 17s, but the 16.5s give it a really cool wide stance.

69svt

Loc.
the 908
Yeah - another $250+ by the time they get to the door. I don't even have half that into the wheels. Anyone know the actual diameter? I've got a giant plumbing/steel supplier in town and maybe they have the correct size to cut down.

You would wanna use 15" dia. Drainage pipe the green kind ... Only issue is very supplier I went to would only sell a entire length(10'-12') and it cost over 200$

I tried cutting down the run flats burned up 2 portaband blades and 3hrs to do one ... I then broke down and bought 4 PVC rings from trailworthyfab

as far as recentering the rims I bought the pressed backing plates they rest in the rim almost perfect and if you take your time measure a lot as your welding you'll be fine it's simple. Get the centers from http://www.cmperformancemachine.com

I brought the front halves to a local water jet guy he cut them out $20 each

Also you'll need new Orings for the rims when you reassemble them get them from https://www.real4wd.com/zedsuite/

OP
OP
KyleQ

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Yeah - looks like I will be pulling the trigger on a set of 43" TSL SX's tomorrow. I don't even have wheels I can use yet, but I don't care. I'll order up some centers and run them without a rock ring. Looks like I'm going to order inserts from Trail Worthy Fab as well.