• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

AOD or 4R70W trans?

doghows72

Bronco Guru
Well now that I found a 96 Explorer motor I need to pick my trans. I know I want an automatic and my last bronco I ran an AOD but I've seen a lot of you going with the 4R70W.
So my question is which is the best option, cost, adapter? Time for the search option.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
4r70w is stronger but will require a controller unless you are going with the Explorer fuel injection then the oem computer can control it.
Only real reason to go AOD is if you are going carb.
I believe the two have a slightly different gear spread with the 4r70w being the more popular.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I believe you want a 97 or later 4r70w. Something got better after that year....

Broncobowsher

Total hack
4R70W has better gearing, a selectable lockup convertor, better bands and all the other innards that the AOD crowd wants. Adapting either is the same.

Those that want and AOD are the same crowd that doesn't trust new fangled electronic ignition, just run a set of points. AODs are more death prone, bad TV adjustment will do that. You actually have a better chance of making it home with a 4R70W than an AOD, you can ground a wire here or there to force it into any gear at any time. So even if you do manage to kill a gear you are not necessarily stuck.

wepuckett

There is a good site for AOD or 4R info. They have some pretty good threads for both, I am going AOD but because I am going carb that and I already have an AOD that is in good shape on the outside will know in about 2 weeks if it is in as good shape on the inside. Don't want the computer to deal with. But I am doing research on electronic ignition so when the points do go out I can do that upgrade, heck they might already be gone. Still working through making sure everything is good.

But back to your question if you have a computer then focus more on which transfer case you want and if you want to fork out for the adapter. If no computer the go AOD.
Oh here is the link to the forum on both AOD's and 4R's
http://www.clickclickracing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?12-General-Click-Click-Tech

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have both AOD and 4R70W.

-I started with the AOD. Had it built well with all the good stuff. The TV pressure was always my big concern so I have a pressure gauge installed and have had no problems after I got the cable adjusted. It is a very smooth transitioning transmission through the gears. It is SWEET to say the least and was about 1000.00 cheaper than the 4R70W that needs the controller/goodies.

-I haven't installed the 4R70W yet but I had a custom built edge racing torque converter, the US shift stuff. Bought another Transfer case so it could be installed as a "unit", my usual insanity.

-I decided to go the 4R70W because I could manually lock up the converter which is just a preference. I feel a properly built AOD is very reliable and unless your as picky as I it would not matter.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I've been running an AOD for 6 years and I've been very happy with it. I run efi and am very capable of making a 4R70W work. I happened upon a smoking deal on a Hughes built AOD so I went with it. I also have a 4R sitting out in the yard for another project. If you go with an AOD a good valve body will make it every bit as good as a 4R70W!

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Great point, My trans guy totally reworked the valve body on my AOD and it is SO smooth.