• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

71 Bronco

Geniusloerts

Well, figured I could start a thread on the bronco we picked up last Friday. Made a family trip out of it and the wife got to hit up IKEA.

I got an extra top for it since the one on it has a natural sunroof. The seller also gave me an extra hood, core support, and some doors.

plan to fix the usual rust spots, see if the 170 will run, find a dana 44 for it, 2.5" lift, some steel wheels and pizza cutter tires, some type of family cage/seats, and enjoy. Eventually paint it when the wife decides what color she wants.

Here it is in all it's glory. (sorry about the rotated image)

Got it into the garage until I rearrange some space in the shop.

Got the old top off...Pretty sure it had never been off before. looks like at one point it had a rack and some luggage strap sliders. It needs a top skin and some work on the sides, haven't decided to scrap it or if someone would want to take a stab at fixing it... Thoughts??

Attachments

• IMG_6380.jpg
    IMG_6380.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6381.jpg
    IMG_6381.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
Nice score! Looks like you have a good plan to fix her up too. Congrats on the new project. Jim :cool:

chuckyb

Contributor
Congratulations! Good to see another one get pulled indoors for some TLC!

OP
OP
Geniusloerts

Geniusloerts

Went through some of the wiring and got rid of the stuff waiting to burn it down....There was a household light switch set up to turn on the head lights... anyways made my way through the ignition wiring. Everything tracked right and had voltages the correct places. I dropped in my extra battery and bumped her over. Seemed promising except the lack of spark. Ended up adjusting the points and got some good spark. put a little fuel in the carb, grabbed the fire extinguisher and let her fire. It doesn't sound too bad for sitting for who knows how long. I need a replacement filter lid (its rusted through), but the intake noise will drop once that gets back on there.

on the list for tonight is to drop the tank to clean/ check it out, and pull down the pedal assembly to clean up the pivot points as they are sticking.

OP
OP
Geniusloerts

Geniusloerts

Well I backed it out of the garage for it to get a bath. Washed it top side and bottom so grime wont fall on me while working on it.

got the dash pad off and the windshield unbolted to clean up a bit more before removing the dash panel. Found some interesting stuff in the chasm of the decades, some .22 shells, a comb, sunflower seeds, and a unused stick of gum that had withered from the acerbity of time.

pulled off my rear wheel to try and check out the status of the rear drums. ran across, what I would imagine was a kosher mod for back in the day, the axle being moved back an inch.....but not how must of us do it now.

Attachments

• IMG_6438.jpg
    IMG_6438.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Awesome finds there lol. My 71' started off life Mallard Green as well.

OP
OP
Geniusloerts

Geniusloerts

Awesome finds there lol. My 71' started off life Mallard Green as well.

Haha, thanks...I think? We haven't decided what to do with the color yet. I like the green and have a few ideas to modernize it a little, but I will probably let the wife decide since she was the driving force to get a Bronco.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Haha, thanks...I think? We haven't decided what to do with the color yet. I like the green and have a few ideas to modernize it a little, but I will probably let the wife decide since she was the driving force to get a Bronco.

There were 1128 Mallard Green broncos in 71'. 2936 were 6cyl and 15784 v8.

photobucket-43781-1346271992805.jpg

OP
OP
Geniusloerts

Geniusloerts

Nice, I need to order my report. I think mine is a bare bones truck, which i think is kinda neat.

LUBr LuvR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
1 of 18 with those paint/trim codes? That's some low numbers, might want to consider keeping it the original color......

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
1 of 18 with those paint/trim codes? That's some low numbers, might want to consider keeping it the original color......

Too late, it's been red at some point, and is now white and black. I'd like to take it back to original though.